Saturday, July 2, 2022

How to start without going overboard? *warning, ED mention

Hi community, hoping to get some advice/motivation in a tricky situation. I (30F) spent most of my life fit, around 130 pounds or less at 5,5”. I have an athletic build and was fairly active until about 25/26 ish when I had surgery on my foot/calf. I also have a prior hip surgery on the same leg so it’s safe to say that while I can be active I get sore quickly. I competed in a weight-based sport in high school that easily led to me becoming obsessed with losing/maintaining pounds. At around 21 I started having anorexic tendencies that developed into full-blown bulimia by 22. I dropped to about 117 pounds at my worst but worked hard to kick the habit (mostly) over the next 1.5 years. I still have a random bad day, maybe once every two months. I returned to my 130 pound normal.

Then at 26 my Dad died. I’ve worked the entirety of COVID as a frontline worker at a hospital and the last 3 years have had a lot of stress and depression. I slowly and steadily packed on weight with marijuana-induced munchies as a big contributor. I stopped playing rec sports with pandemic and stopped running after my surgeries. I sit around 157 but totally depends on my water weight and my (lack-of) bowel movements. Now, at 30, I feel in a much better place with a much better headspace and am ready to start a healthy and safe weight loss journey. I know I’m not obese but I can feel the extra weight and it is limiting my fun activities as I have more trouble not getting winded/fatigued. My worry is how to not go 110% into exercise and diet and counting calories because that can tumble back to obsessive tendencies easily. When I get afraid of that though I can’t seem to find motivation to even step a toe forward.

One goal I have is to force myself to walk during my lunch breaks as we have nice paths around the hospital. I’ve also thought about looking at Zumba classes or something as group fitness is much more appealing to me and I did my time with Olympic lifting/circuit workouts in college sports. I’m not focusing on the number on the scale but rather how I feel and how my clothes fit me (most have become tight or unwearable).

I’m not sure what all I’m asking, maybe just an encouraging word or something that helped you start. I never thought about weight in a healthy way so it’s a little scary to start. Thanks all.

submitted by /u/muskoxe
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/yk9zEaV

No comments:

Post a Comment