Monday, September 19, 2022

Do You Count Records If Heavily Water Weight Dependent?

I check my weight in the morning before breakfast and only log personal records. Problem is I'm both a sweater, and have bowel issues. Even though I walk 4.5 miles around 5 days a week, the amount of water I lose by sweating is highly variable. Add in a random effect depending on whether I have constipation or diarhea, which I get sometimes due to IBS which lately I've been struggling with more than usual. As a result of all this, I tend to set PRs every so often. I think it was something like 8 days, 9 days and most recently a wopping 13 days! The most recent gap between records, its been cooler, so I've been sweating less, so presumably my water % was a little higher. During the 13 days, my weight was 184.0-185.3 or so. Yesterday, we did an extra length walk, something over 6 miles, and this morning I'm 181.6. I do rehydrate! I immediately drink like 16 ounces after a walk, and then drink whenever thirsty. I know that to some extent the 181.6 is not fully "real" and that over the next 7-13 days I'll probably average 182-183.5 before eventually setting another lower personal record. Thats kind of how its been working for me. My weight on a particular day does not show linear loss obviously, but if you look at the graph of my personal records, the slope of the graph is constant, showing 1.25 pounds a week the whole time I've been dieting (121 days). So while the records may not be entirely "real" they certainly do correlate with my actual weight loss given the steady slope of the loss graph. Since I went 13 days between records and I'm losing 1.25 a week, of couse my new record was going to be over 2 pounds less.

What number should I use to evaluate my weight loss? I tend to use all of them. I pay attention to my records and enjoy passing threshholds, but if a friend asks how much weight I've lost, I might use my weight that morning to figure that out.

Ultimately, I know it doesn't matter much, and that its great that the slope of the loss graph is remaining pretty steady at 1.25 pounds a week. But its pretty human to look at a number. So what number do you look at, your "records" or your weight that day at weigh in or what?

submitted by /u/ArtNJ
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/sIBS8tQ

No comments:

Post a Comment