Sunday, September 18, 2022

Weight loss really is calories in calories out

I've been lurking on Reddit weight loss related pages on and off for several years. After I was laid off from my job in 2008 and had a handful of major life stressors, I gained about 10 pounds a year until 2016. I topped out at 245, which was the same high I reached when I was pregnant back in 2003, and just assumed that was my set point. Never really went over it since 2016, but haven't been able to chisel my way back down until now.

I've tried everything. I was a vegetarian in high school/college, went gluten free (which I honestly needed to, so that I still do strictly), tried the Zone, South Beach, paleo, keto...stuff worked a little, but surprisingly didn't work as well as I thought it would or for very long. It wasn't that I couldn't follow directions or be committed, I just didn't lose much.

Last fall, my mom (75) had a stroke after years of not well controlled type 2 diabetes. She was never morbidly obese, just like me, around 80 pounds heavier than she should have been. Thankfully, she's mostly ok, she healed well and quickly, with some mild issues, but it was scary. Dad had a heart procedure around the same time, and then had a hip replacement. His issues were unrelated to weight, just getting older. But I saw them both and said, "Ok, I need to do something because I want quality of life as I get older".

I hired a nutrition-focused nurse practitioner who focuses on macros and coaching. I'm still eating carbs. But I am at a calorie deficit of around 500 calories (maybe a little more) and just dropping weight like crazy. I mean, not faster than I should be, but a solid 1% of my body weight each week (around 2.5 pounds). I keep thinking it'll slow, but it hasn't yet, and I'm down about 16 pounds in 6 weeks. I always used to think that calories in calories out doesn't work for everyone, but it does. Even if you're eating keto or paleo, it matters, you just don't notice it as much because you're not getting those crazy insulin spikes making you hungry.

tl;dr - Whatever diet you choose, you still need to do CICO. Calories do actually matter.

submitted by /u/yomamasochill
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/ndPakCZ

No comments:

Post a Comment