Monday, September 26, 2022

Why must people always make comments about weight loss!

I get the usual "you've lost too much" or "you're going to stop soon, right?" from time to time mixed in among the usual comments on my weight loss and how it's improved my look. (imo it really has, my frame was meant to not be obese, also my face doesn't need the extra width/roundness) I've come to terms that people accept it's open season to comment on weight loss, people who would never in a million years comment on someone's weight gain.

With that in mind I got hit from a new angle over the weekend. I was eating dinner at a restaurant with some family. At the dinner my wife had food leftover and asked if I wanted any. I mentioned that it wasn't my cheat day (and my large meal was 1200-1400 calories already). Didn't think much of it until the next day when a family member pulled me aside and asked if they had overheard me correctly that it wasn't my "cheat day". They asked if I was still working out. They then proceeded to inform me that so long as they were active or had an exercise program they could eat as much as they wanted anytime even "stuffing themselves" and never gain weight and that they were just surprised I couldn't and had to ask me about it. My response was along the lines of "isn't that neat" or something.

For some reason that irritated me more than I expected. I don't think they meant much by it beyond what they said, and this family member I know wants the best for me and cares but still. Yes, there was a reason I was fat and needed to lose weight and you weren't. Just like some people need to study more to get good grades and others just half listen in class and churn out A's. Everyone and every body is different. Obviously, when left to my own devices with no controls I go obese (even while active) and that person, from what they're telling me, under the same circumstances does not. Also, the way they phrased their statement sounds like they believe fat people are inactive and almost purposefully stuff themselves with food for fun. It's not like that. I eat because my body feels hungry or at least craves food, whether it should be or not, too many calories whether I need them or not, with or without exercise. I understand that for me, I'm going to have to exercise some amount of self control for life to be at a healthier weight. Thankfully, I feel like that amount of control is not that extreme.

Not that big a deal in the grand scheme, just thought I'd share it in a community that seems to get it's share of these types of comments!

submitted by /u/SnooRobots136
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/XMPrfjm

No comments:

Post a Comment