Wednesday, December 21, 2022

My mom is overweight, I need help how to support her.

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about this but I am at a loss and I just want to be a support or aid in helping my mom to lose weight. My mother is about 320~ pounds, and is diabetic which I know adds in another layer to this.

My mom struggles to get herself up out of most sitting situations, and usually does not move throughout the day unless it is to go to the bathroom. My heart breaks for her and I want her so badly to enjoy her retirement to the fullest extent. I can tell she is on the cusp of being fed up and wanting to make a change. She has made small breakthroughs prior to this (getting on the peleton, walking on the treadmill for a few minutes, etc), and is currently using apps to count calories.

I myself am going through my own weight loss journey and I understand that until you yourself want to do it, you cannot be forced to. I will be moving back in with them for a few months next year and I want to do anything and everything I can to help encourage her during that time. She makes remarks about herself and knows that she needs to lose weight but always says working out hurts, she can't do this, etc. I never ever shame her or make any comments on her weight, I only comment back when she is making crappy remarks about herself (I say things like "I know it sucks but we have to keep going to see results, if it hurts too much its okay to rest today we'll be back at it again tomorrow"). She will make about a weeks effort to work out and then gets really mad/sad and goes back to old habits.

My question to you all, is how can I support her or help move in the right direction? Do I ask her to work out with me while I'm home with them? How can I help her take her small strides and make them longer strides? Are there any specific work out tools I can buy her that will maybe not be so intense but at least can get her moving that worked for anyone here?

Thank you so much for reading, and in advance for any feedback.

submitted by /u/proxymoore
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8UJXDCF

No comments:

Post a Comment