Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Losing weight eating more carbs?

Hi all! First post on here and new reddit account.

Last fall I booked a tropical holiday and wanted to lose some weight quickly. I had about 6 weeks to my trip, and I had heard a lot of good things about the keto diet in terms of quick weight loss. I jumped in and gave it my all - stayed under 20g of carbs per day, I was eating so much eggs, steak, low carb veggies, cheese, etc. (I should also say my starting weight was 176lbs, 5'6F). My first week went really well (lost 3lbs), but then afterwards my weightloss quickly dwinded each passing week. By the end I was only losing 0 - 0.2lbs per week, and I lost 6lbs total. I was EXTREMELY frustrated because I had never been able to stick to a diet plan that long, it look a lot of dedication and consistency, and tbh, I had to completely give up most of the foods I liked which sucked a lot. Also probably TMI but I was barely having any bowel movements, I went from 2-3 times per day to once every 1-2 days.

I went to the Keto subreddit to try and understand why I wasn't losing weight as quickly as most people - tbh, I find that community toxic as they are so engrained into the keto lifestyle they could not possibly believe that it wasn't somehow my fault. I was eating 1300-1400 calories a day and keeping my carbs low - yet it was always a bunch of confusing explanations (you're eating too much/too little, you're not drinking enough water, you're drinking too much water, you're not working out enough, you're working out too much - I was doing 6 hours of cardio a week). That's why i'm not posting there about this, because they will pretty much tear you apart if you have the gall to say that it's not working for you.

When I went on my holiday in mid-December, I stopped doing keto because I was on vacation, and Christmas was coming up, in which I wanted to enjoy all the tasty foods. I told myself on Jan 1 I would get back to eating healthy - I knew it didn't want to do keto again because it's just not sustainable or enjoyable. I pretty much came to the realization that if i'm going to lose weight and keep it off long term, I need to change my eating habits. No more quick-fix diets aimed at losing weight, my goal is to repair my relationship with food and just eat healthy for the most part. I've still been able to stick around 1500 calories, and i'm eating around 100g carbs (which is still less than the average diet). I'm enjoying the food a lot more and surprise surprise - i've actually lost 6lbs since I started on Jan 1, which is the same amount I lost doing Keto for the entire 6 weeks. And my BMs are back to normal, lol.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on this? I did SO much research into keto and was 100% sold - the science made total sense to me. Your body's prefered fuel source is glycogen, which is stored in the body from sugar and carbs. When your body runs out of glycogen, it starts using body fat for fuel, hence the reason for burning body fat quickly. However, if that's the case, why have I been losing more weight eating more carbs? It doesn't really seem to jive with the science?

Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

submitted by /u/FloofyK
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/MpdZxFD

No comments:

Post a Comment