Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Venting: How Obesity Has Impacted My Family (marriage, elder care, etc)

A couple things on my mind as I am currently caring for 4 obese family members: grandmother, grandfather, father (64) and sister (36).

My grandmother and grandfather have had their lives drastically cut short due to life long obesity. They are currently with hospice and have spent the last 10 years in and out of the hospital with various cholesterol and blood pressure issues. Caring for them and finding caregivers who are willing and able to care for them is extremely challenging. It’s hard to move them due to their weight. When they were in senior care centers they received lesser quality of care because more than one staff was needed to assist them, which meant they were not assisted as frequently as easier to help seniors.

My father is one of my best friends. He is the best dad ever. His father had a heart attack at 60 so you would think he would make his health more of a priority, but sadly he has not. My mother had weight loss surgery several years ago and is now in perfect health and has maintained her weight loss for many years. The impact of him not getting his health under control has had serious effects on their marriage as he is not able to do any of the things she wants to do (kayaking, walking tours when they travel, cycling, etc.). He avoids physical activity and my mom seeks it. My mom is so sad because she knows caring for him is going to be impossible for her. She is petite (5’4 and 120 pounds) and my dad is 6’2 and 330 pounds. As their daughter, watching this change in their marriage has been so devastating. Watching my Dad have to take pills every day to control his blood pressure and other health issues is sad.

A couple of years ago my sister was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She’s about 5’7 and 350 pounds. I cannot tell you how many doctors appointments I sat in with her where doctors told her repeatedly, “losing weight would make the cancer treatment - chemo and radiation - much easier on your body.” She refused to make the changes. She actually went the opposite direction and said, “well if I’m going to be sick I might as well eat whatever I want.”

Why do I say all this? Because so much of what my family is going through could have at the LEAST been minimized if they had cared for their bodies more. Choosing not to take care of yourself now WILL have an impact on you AND YOUR LOVED ONES long term. If you haven’t made the decision to start a journey to a healthier life…. I hope you do. Your quality of life will improve in so many ways.

Lastly, eating healthy and maintaining a deficit is obviously the biggest part of weight loss. However, please remember that exercise is essential for minimizing health risks as you age. Blood pressure, for example, can be drastically impacted by a healthy exercise regimen. So, if possible, make it a goal to include exercise in your schedule.

submitted by /u/Haulin_Aus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/c5g37wj

No comments:

Post a Comment