Thursday, August 27, 2026

STRUGGLING. Postpartum and can't lose weight. Please help!

HELP!

I lost more than 40lbs 3 years ago after gaining over a few years from sedentary lifestyle and a pregnancy. I counted calories and got into running and a bit of weight lifting. It took about 5-6 months to lose most of the weight going from about 210lbs to 165lbs. When I would exercise I wouldn't adjust calories unless ravenous, which sped up my weight loss a fair bit. I looked and felt great. I kept it off for two years heading into a pregnancy.

I now have a 3 month old baby and 30lbs to lose again. I am 203lbs and would be happy even being 175lbs or so, and get down to 165-170lbs when I am done breastfeeding (I am exclusively breastfeeding). I am 5ft 10.

I tried to start calorie counting again 1 month ago. It has been so hard to stay on track. Despite accounting for breastfeeding calorie burn and only trying to lose 0.5lb per week, I am ravenous and often going over my calorie goal. I think it is a combo of breastfeeding hunger, but also the sleep deprivation with my baby leaving me kind of dysregulated and disinhibited? I am getting comfort from eating. I am not depressed or anxious and have a longterm therapist, I'm just tired. I am just struggling so much to commit to the calorie deficit and have often set myself up for failure by noon with only like 400 calories left for the day at that point!

So, I thought I could aim for maintenance calories instead, but get back into running and not adjust calories for exercise so at least I'd be really gradually losing weight. I started running slowly and severely messed up my ankle (had previously sprained it and reaggravated it badly). So now I can't run or even go on long walks! I am awaiting a physio appointment.

Should I just give up and try again in a month? I dread the idea of going back to my professional job in 6months fat (I started after losing weight last time) and going home for Christmas fat. I hate my family photos from 4 years ago where I look so huge and puffy and uncomfortable.

Any tips or advice or encouragement welcome!

Edit- last time I lost weight I had stopped breastfeeding and was 18 months post partum. I don't want to wait that long again 😭

submitted by /u/G3N3RICxUS3RNAM3
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/jso9RtG

No comments:

Post a Comment