Thursday, April 11, 2019

It's going to be a grind

My weight hadn't changed in two weeks.

I thought I set reasonable goals. I started at 239 pounds. My first goal was the 210's by June 1. I wanted to be sub 200 by August 1. I ordered two meals a day from a meal prep service out of convenience so I didn't have to worry about them. I stopped snacking. No food except my mandated 3 meals and nightly post workout protein shake. I go to the gym 5 days a week doing my old strength training regime (minus deadlifts due to a disc injury I got doing crossfit and front squats instead of back squats). I hadn't strength trained in about two years.

The idea was two pounds a week. That was my normal cutting weight loss when I was fit. I didn't want to weigh myself the first two weeks. I didn't want to be tied to "the number". Week three and I had lost 12 pounds. I was ecstatic. I figure that half of that was water weight since I felt so much less bloated which left 6 pounds in 3 weeks which is exactly my goal. Perfect.

Then week four and my weight was stagnant at 227. I didn't freak out though, I was strength training again and was definitely starting to build muscle. It could have been water retention from the creative I take or muscle building. I carried on.

Week five and I stepped on the scale and it was 227 again. It was actually 227.8. I was so deflated. Was I doing something wrong? Should I start doing my dreaded cardio? Was I eating too much? Should I cut the banana out of my protein shake? Was I not sleeping enough? Should I try doing deadlifts again? Should I go to the gym fasted? It's funny the things you start thinking about when your expectations are shot and your plan goes awry. You start mixing rational explanations with superstitions and just irrational thinking.

I decided against every fiber of my being to just stay the course and continue. I was doing everything the right way. I wasn't cheating on my meal plan. My weekly photos didn't seem to show any progress other than less bloating but my dress shirts for work seemed to start fitting better. I didn't feel like a sausage. Or was that just misplaced confidence and I looked like a fool?

Week 6, two days ago, I stepped on the scale. 224. Im on the right track. Losing weight is a grind. Basically I'm trying to say, don't panic when you hit a wall. Keep grinding away. Had I changed things up, who knows if I'd keep the same momentum. Don't get discouraged.

submitted by /u/FormerFitGuy1
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2X2ebGI

No comments:

Post a Comment