Thursday, April 4, 2019

Weighing the pros and cons of OMAD after two months

I've been doing the OMAD diet and eating one meal a day the past few months.

Unfortunately, I can no longer find it sustainable. Don't get me wrong, I've lost a sizable amount of weight with it. But long term I'm not sure if it's conducive for long-term health benefits or well being.

I have multiple objections:

  • A lot of people in r/omad and other omad dieters think that because they eat once a day it's an excuse to eat anything. The other day on r/omad a guy posted his meal for the day: two hamburgers and a large fry from a burger joint and he topped it off with a large chocolate shake. Hey, so long as you get those calories right?
  • Which is fine, but health and well being seem to be on the back burner and people are instead opting for what they want to eat just once a day.
  • A lot of the reason for America's obesity problem relates to our proportion sizes and the fact that we, as a country, overeat. Eating once a day does not fix this issue. You're more likely to go overboard and think you need x amount of food to get full. Why listen to your stomach to see if it's 80% full if your next meal will be tomorrow?
  • It's pretty damn hard to get 1500 calories (my target) on mostly vegetables alone in one meal.
  • It ultimately doesn't seem sustainable for me in the long term for well being, at least for daily use, but that's just me.

That said, there's some positives to it:

  • You get full and satiated definitely, after getting used to it.
  • It can helpful for short term weight loss and it's loose enough for you to just do it once a week if you feel like it.
  • It's very easy to track calories in this manner.
  • It's ultimately cheaper because you're only cooking for one meal. This of course doesn't consider that with a more balanced diet you're more likely to eat half or a third of what you eat on OMAD, and save it for later, so you're cooking less over all anyways and that also saves more for later compared to OMAD where you're more likely to eat more and therefore consume more leaving less for later.
  • It is really, really good on the wallet. You can go to the store once a week, load up, and have all you need to eat that week.
  • Long fasts have been shown to help reset the system. It's beneficial to do a 24-48 hour fast every now and then, maybe once a year maybe.

So pros? Cons?

This past week I've gone back to intermittent fasting. Omad has helped trained me to make it more successful and I've been losing the same amount of weight that I do on OMAD while being able to enjoy food more. Which is better? I really don't know. I've come to the conclusion that daily OMAD isn't for me, but that it's definitely worthwhile to partake in maybe once a week.

Thoughts from others?

submitted by /u/spacelionfgc
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2UzKPli

No comments:

Post a Comment