Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Intermittent Fasting has changed how I view feeling hungry

I'm a bit of a compulsive eater and mainly just eat whenever and whatever I feel like; doesn't matter if I just had a meal 20 minutes ago - if that donut on the counter looks good, it's going in my mouth. Consequently, my brain never really knows what it's like to actually feel hungry because it always wants to be hungry, and, as a result, it also never knew what it was like to be full.

Realizing that this was the biggest obstacle to weight loss, I've been trying a 16:8 IF as a way to limit when I can grab these other foods (using the app 'Zero' to help keep track of time) and I've already noticed a difference in how I approach food. Now that I know what it actually feels like to be hungry for food, I know what my body is needing to tell me vs what it wants to tell me. Instead of just eating in response to visual cues (I see food, I eat food), I'm now able to respond better to feeling cues.

I thought at first the timer would be a literal invitation to binge - after 18 hours you can eat however much of whatever you want! Turns out I also figured out what my body feels like when it is full, which makes it very hard to splurge. Now I know what my stomach's limits are (and how much it hurts to hit those limits!). Instead of grazing throughout the day, I now break my eating into three parts:

  • lunch when the fast ends (usually around 11-12)
  • a snack in the middle (something low calorie after working out)
  • dinner before fasting (around 6-7)

If you haven't given IF a try, you really should! This is an amazing tool that will help you become more disciplined if you're a compulsive snacker or boredom eater like me.

submitted by /u/ThatWasPeachy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xgl4tc

No comments:

Post a Comment