Saturday, June 29, 2019

Like martial arts, learning to fall is essential to losing weight and maintaining

My wife and I just came back from our 25th wedding anniversary trip. 25 days in Africa. And OMG the food was FANTASTIC. Like you’d fine in a fine dining restaurant. I ate and ate and ate. Had three or four drinks a day, too, whereas my normal is 0 to four in a whole month. I discovered this liqueur called Amarula, made from milk and a local fruit juice. I mixed cocoa powder in with my coffee. I had dessert twice a day.

And it turns out African safaris are sedentary. You’re mostly sitting in a 4-wheel-drive truck that’s been converted to a kind of open air minibus. You’re bouncing along on dirt paths while someone else drives.

I could tell I gained weight. My pants were getting tight. When I got home, I faced the scale.

I was up 20 pounds the first day back. But I know from experience that much of the weight gain on travel is water weight and it comes off quickly if you stick to a sensible eating program. Sure enough, I’m down to a 12 pound weight gain, a day or two later.

I do not regret a minute of this, or a single bite or sip. It was a wonderful trip. But now it’s back to real life, and time to resume a healthy lifestyle.

Life is like that sometimes. Sometimes there are special occasions when you choose to indulge. If it will make your grandma happy to have a slice of pie, then have a slice of that pie.

Other times, I binge or stress-eat. I travel on business 5-7 days a month, and usually come home a half-pound heavier for every day I travel.

And yet on the average I’ve kept my weight loss of 90-100 pounds for eight years or so.

The secret is when you fall, learn to get back up again. You know how to do this. You’ve been doing it. Don’t waste time beating yourself up. Make your first meal at home a sensible one. And the second and the third. Get back to your exercise program.

When you learn martial arts, the first thing they teach you is how to fall. How to hit the ground and not break any bones and just bounce back to your feet and get back to it. Diet and weight maintenance are like that.

PS I climbed a 300 foot sand dune in Namibia, and walked down. The climb up is strenuous. It’s like walking on the beach, but you’re walking up. The sand fights you with every step. The climb down is easy and fun — like skating or skiing, but in your shoes. No way I could have made that climb 12 years ago — but I did it a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

submitted by /u/TommyAdagio
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xmf56i

No comments:

Post a Comment