Monday, September 9, 2019

Almost 180 pounds lost, a progress pic, and what I learned along the way

It's been a long journey so far. The "before" photo was taken nine years ago right when I hit my maximum at 425. In truth it was at least 425 because that is where the scale maxed out - and broke. Not a good day, that.

I have tried to get into exercise and I was doing really well at it until I broke my back in 2016 and I had to change my plans. After that I started concentrate on diet, not so much measuring calories, but knowing that consuming more calories than I burned would equal weight gain. After my divorce i didn't cook for myself much, I didn't find the pleasure in getting an entire kitchen dirty for one person. That lead me to eat too many pizzas and any progress I had made was quickly erased.

What seems to have done the trick for me this time and why I think I just may make it to my goal weight is having relocated to a new place I decided to make my trips out of the apartment not about food. Where before on Sundays where I used to live my routine was to take whatever book I was reading to my favorite brewery, have 2.5 pints of beer and one of their very tasty means. I decided here I wasn't going to replace that activity. Yes, I can still have craft beer, and yes I can still go out for an excellent meal, but it is not longer my routine to do so and that seems to have made a huge difference. Also, when do venture out and explore my new area, normally with my camera in my hand, I eat before I go so the siren song of the highway gas station won't pull me in. You all back East have WaWa and Sheetz, and I loved them both, but I have Buc-ees', and they make their own beef jerky and I have a weakness for jerky. Ten years ago I would have left that place in an ambulance after my first visit.

Now that I think about it, leaving the house with a full stomach when you head out may have made more difference than any other single thing. Oh, and keep plenty of water with you on the road. Stay hydrated!

Anyway, as promised, at nearly 180 pounds gone here is the pic. I tried to recreate the angle but failed. You get the idea though. Stay strong, oh, and though it feels like your weight loss journey may be taking forever, and in my case it certainly has, but as long as the long-term trend is going in the right direction that has kept me from losing focus from the overall goal on days or weeks when that scale needle won't move, or worse, goes in the wrong direction.

Lastly, thank you all for the inspiration. I have found so much of it in this sub over the years I've been on Reddit. Thank you all!

Edit: typo, fixed photo link (whoops)

submitted by /u/b4xt3r
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ZJvaTY

No comments:

Post a Comment