Friday, September 20, 2019

Depression after weight loss

I’m a 36 year old guy. I’ve gone from 375 lbs down to 250 lbs over the last 14 months. It’s been a pretty big transformation and I don’t regret it at all but I’m really struggling with depression at the moment, partially as a result of the weight loss. Have others experienced this?

I’ve previously dealt with depression and usually I manage it pretty well, but this is the worst I’ve felt in a very long time.

It sounds kinda silly but I guess I really hoped that I’d be one of those ugly duckling stories. I’ve never had a partner and haven’t even managed to go on a single date in nearly a decade. I started out on my weight loss journey to improve my mobility and fitness but somewhere along the way I figured that also maybe it might help my chances of finally meeting someone special. I’ve been putting myself out there for six months and well, it’s been a complete failure. Not even a single date, just a whole lot of rejection. I see so many before and after pics which blow me away, and it guts me to feel that after all this work I’m still not considered dating material.

The other problem I’m having is that I used to use food or booze to cope with the loneliness. Especially on weekends. I have a few close friends and acquaintances who I meet for lunch or coffee but I live alone and the evenings can often be lonely. I used to order takeaways whenever I was down or needed to give me something to look forward to. I gave that up last year but never found anything to replace it with. It hasn’t been much of an issue until the last few months but now that my depression is back I’m finding it pretty hard. I’m refusing to revert back to the old habits as I don’t want to undo all the work, but instead I just stay lonely and miserable. Which isn’t much fun.

Has anyone else struggled with depression after losing weight?

submitted by /u/CpaiatnJcaKSarrpow
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QnpOtx

No comments:

Post a Comment