Monday, September 2, 2019

Trying to find a healthy, sustainable method for weight loss.

Basically, I don't know how to lose weight in a healthy way.

I was skinny in high school because I restricted myself to 1200 calories a day most days, and ran a minimum of 5 miles a day. I went crazy on the weekends, and then would eat even less to make up for it. Some days I would even fast for 24 hours or more if I had really f-ed up. Basically, I was in an unhealthy place of thinness obsession, and it wasn't cool.

Eventually I snapped and gained all that weight back.

Then college came, and I went back on the same thing, and lost weight again. I remained like that for a year, until the weight slowly crept back up.

This time, I decided that I was going to try to lose weight in a "healthy" way. Unfortunately, although I started to follow a healthier lifestyle, the weight just didn't come off at all, and I became extremely frustrated. I tried not to restrict myself too much, but at the end of the day, I don't know how to eat healthy without feeling deprived and completely going off the rails. Most days, I'd eat well, others I'd eat 500 calories extra and mess up my deficit. Even on weeks where I ate healthily with no mess-ups and exercised 5x a week, my weight stayed the same! And because I wasn't making up for things with extremely low calorie/low carb days with lots of running, my weight wouldn't budge.

The very last time I lost weight, I did it by going on a no-sugar, low carb diet. Lost 11 pounds in one month, and gained 14 back!

Now I'm at a loss. I don't think the fight is over, but I'm so confused about the conflicting advice that's coming my way. Cheat meals or no cheat meals? Cold turkey, or no cold turkey because "dieting doesn't work"? Low carb/macro tracking, or calories in/calories out? Should I try to cut out sugar again and eat low carb again, and hope it works this time, or am I guaranteed to fall off the wagon once I get tired of my diet? Most of the time, when I hear about healthy weight loss, people just talk about developing a "lifestyle you enjoy and can continue forever", but if I just did a lifestyle I enjoyed, I'd probably just eat sweets and bread every day and never work out. In my mind salad = restriction, and pizza/dessert = freedom, relaxation, etc. I know I could just go back to the way I was in high school, but that always resulted in weight regain and general unhappiness lol.

I'm currently thinking that maybe I could start off losing weight this time by eating no sugar for 2 weeks, and then having a cheat meal once a week until I get to my goal. Maybe my week could be eat healthy until Saturday, then back on the horse starting Sunday? My biggest fears are that I'll

A) not lose weight

B) lose weight, but get tired of not eating the things I like/only getting to eat the things I like once a week.

So long story short, what is the best method for losing weight and keeping it off without feeling deprived or crash dieting? I just want to not be overweight and fit back into my clothes.

submitted by /u/wonderful9235
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/32koI2E

No comments:

Post a Comment