Saturday, October 5, 2019

Help! Muscle Gain vs Weight Loss messing with my head

I’m 33F, 156 cm, SW: 72 kg, CW: 62 kg, GW: 52 kg (Imperial: 33F, 5’1.5”, SW: 159 lbs, CW: 137 lbs, GW: 115 lbs)

Jumped on the weight loss and fitness train last May due to longstanding health issues. I’ve been losing weight which is great, but am currently in a plateau which is messing with my head, coupled with my latest InBody results. I know InBody isn’t deemed accurate but it’s what I have to work with and I can’t justify the cost of a DEXA scan when it’s obvious I still have a lot of fat left to lose. Aside from that, the InBody results closely align with my results using the Navy body fat percentage calculator so it’s good enough for me.

My InBody Results: https://i.imgur.com/NTRAiVa.jpg

Summary of Results:

May 7-June 1 I went from a gym-phobic couch potato to working with a personal trainer 2-3 times a week. Weights and HIIT galore. The first few weeks were rough and there were nights I couldn’t sleep from muscle pain.

Weight: 1.6 kg - 71.2 kg (-0.4 kg DOWN) *Skeletal Muscle Mass: *21.5 - 22.6 (+1.1 kg UP) *Body Fat %: *45.5 - 42.1 (-3.4% DOWN)

I was pretty bummed that my weight loss was going super slow (not even a freaking pound!) but my clothes were undeniably looser and looking better on me. However, I was still eating more or less “normally” and wasn’t counting calories. It seems hard to believe that I gained over a kilo of muscle in less than a month, but if that were so, it could possibly because I have high testosterone levels from PCOS.

June 18 - August 30

Weight: 63.6 kg (-7.6 kg down from June 1)

Skeletal Muscle Mass: 21.0 (-1.6 kg down from June 1

Body Fat %: 39.3 (-2.8% down from June 1)

I started CICO mid-June (1200-1400 calories) and from then on was steadily losing weight at a good pace. I was also on vacation for a month and a half during that period without access to a gym or personal trainer and burned calories by walking everywhere. I use a Fitbit and aimed for a daily 1000 calorie deficit from TDEE. I was really happy with the results on the scale. However, when I came back from vacation at the end of August, the InBody scan showed that I had lost muscle and my body fat percentage had hardly moved downward! I was indeed flabby despite being slimmer so from September I decided to hit the gym hard.

I continued the 3x weekly sessions with my personal trainer and signed up for all sorts of cardio classes 5-6x a week—spinning, Zumba, trampoline, etc. in addition to taking the stairs, brisk walking on the treadmill, and walking everywhere. I could see my muscles getting more definition and my husband is saying that my love handles are getting harder to grasp. I continued CICO but upped my calories to 1500-1800 because I was eating out more socially and was regularly hitting 2,600-3,000 calories burned from all the activity. However, instead of the 2.5-3 kg a month that I was supposed to lose according to my calculations, I only lost HALF a kilo!

This is a really sore point for me because I had lost 3 kg the month before with much less effort and activity. However, my most recent InBody Scan gave me some good news to offset the plateau:

Weight: 63.6 - 62.9 kg (-0.5 kg DOWN from Aug. 30)

Skeletal Muscle Mass: 21.0 - 22.0 (+1.0 kg UP Aug. 30)

Body Fat %: 39.3 - 35.5 (-3.8% DOWN from Aug. 30)

[TL;DR:] So now I feel like I’m in a conundrum: weight training combined with cardio and slightly increased calories seems to give me good results in terms of muscle gain and lowering of body fat percentage, but in return my weight loss halts to a glacial pace. On the other hand, CICO with cardio only results in significant weight loss, but negatively affects muscle mass and does not significantly lower body fat percentage. I was hoping to achieve goal weight around the end of the year but now that seems like a pipe dream... if I lose only half a kilo a month, it would take me nearly two years to achieve goal weight!

Or is it possible that my Fitbit and food scale are now suddenly wildly inaccurate and can no longer be trusted....

I really want to achieve goal weight as soon as possible. I’m not even at a healthy BMI yet! How to get out of this rut...

submitted by /u/cassis-oolong
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2VlClfJ

No comments:

Post a Comment