Tuesday, October 22, 2019

The Art of Getting Back Up

One of my favorite mantras, which is repeated over and over on r/loseit is the idea that weight loss is simple, but not easy. This small change in how I consider weight loss has been so incredibly important to my journey so far.

A little background. I started trying to lose weight seriously in 2016. I had just officially moved in with my partner. I had a promotion under my belt, and I felt ready to tackle this next section of my life. Over the last three years, through job changes and loss of friends and family, I gained and lost the same 30lbs over and over. Starting around 211-215, I could get down to 185, but then fall off. I was hitting a hard wall.

The first few times, it started as a day, then a month, then a few months, then a year. Each time I got back up it was harder, and I felt more defeated. Sometimes I was up for longer, sometimes I was down for longer. Sometimes it felt like the easiest thing in the world, and sometimes it felt impossible.

I know why I’m overweight. I know it boils down to me trying my emotional state to my plate, and whether or not my full belly means I’m fully happy. I know I sought approval as a child for overeating, and I know that behavior was encouraged. Though my habits were learned from a young age, I need to take responsibility for my actions. No one is forcing me to overeat but me.

I started therapy in April of this year, and it’s one of the scariest things I’ve done in my life. Being diagnosed with an eating disorder felt the way stepping on a scale at my heaviest did. I’m aware of the problem, now how do I fix it?

Enter r/loseit and the challenges here. My daily inspiration comes in the form of the posts every singe one of you make, your successes, your failures, and most importantly how you get back up.

Losing weight is the hardest thing I’ve done in my entire life, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. This is me holding myself accountable to myself, and continuing my journey again. I know that I’ll trip again in the future, but the time I’m down is shrinking, and I have a great support team behind me to help me. I have so much knowledge from this journey so far. I’m not restarting, I’m continuing, and it’s going to take as long as it takes for me to bit my goal.

submitted by /u/Reiterated
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/31DvcJ6

No comments:

Post a Comment