Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Even in failure or disappointment, don't get discouraged

Tldr; When you win more than you lose, you're a winner. Don't let today's defeat sour your previous accomplishments.
Just about 6 months into my second foray into getting healthy and I've lost around 20 pounds (down from 290). If you would have asked me how I felt about my progress two days ago, I would have smiled and said "I'm doing just fine."

I've been pushing through Couch-to-5K and started week 4 yesterday. I knew it was going to be a hard run. There was that egregiously long, massive hill that always syncs up with the times I should be running and not walking. The humidity made it feel like 110° F when it was really 85. This week is a split of 3 min run/90 sec walk/5 min run/3 min walk and repeat twice -- hard, but not impossible.

I get through the first leg and I'm already gassed, but I push on. The second 3 minute run hits me and I'm just about ready to give up, but I push on again and my lungs feel like they're gonna explode. During that 90 second walk that felt like 15 I pumped my self up and promised myself I'd make that last 5 minutes count. I start running and after 2 minutes I can't carry on. I stop and hang my head, defeated, as I walk out the last of that leg. The rest of my day goes on, but I try to shake it off.

This morning the super cool scale that can tell me my weight and body fat percentage comes in and I'm psyched to get my first reading. I knew things weren't going to be great, but I felt that I had been working really hard and I expected a BF% around 30%. I painstakingly set up the app that comes with it to track it, calibrate the damn scale, hold my breath, and step on. The scale flashes the weight (271.2 lbs, not unexpected) and I look at the app for my BF%.

My heart dropped when I saw a nasty 37% body fat right in the middle of the screen. This was the second day in a row that I felt I hadn't made enough progress. I felt that it was all for not and, even though I knew I've been working hard, I wasn't doing enough to make a difference.

For the next hour or so after I sat here in front of my computer sipping my coffee and trying to focus on work with the specter of my own disappointment looming over me. I took a second to listen to some music and calm down and one of my favorite "pump me up" songs came on.

Normally, I'd just rock out to the sick banger, but this time I just sat and listened and it reminded me of how far I had come. It reminded me that even though I had failed my own expectations today and yesterday, I was still making progress and will continue to if I keep my head up and take the losses with the victories.

I like to think of weight loss like a team in sports. A team that loses 50 games and wins 51 is still a winner. I try to remind myself that I don't need to go undefeated to be a winner. Yesterday I failed my own expectations, but you better believe I'm going to go out tomorrow and push it and try to beat it.

submitted by /u/ReklawTheBear
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2VdwqdN

No comments:

Post a Comment