Tuesday, June 9, 2020

I need tips on staying motivated after a toxic situation

I (29, gay male) was in a 7 year relationship that ended about a year and a half ago. A few years into the relationship, I decided I needed to improve my health. I started working on weight loss. When I started seeing results all intimacy stopped. He wasn't big on hand holding, cuddling, etc. anyway, but once I started losing sex and everything else just stopped. If I was lucky, bought gifts, set the mood, and the stars aligned just so we may have had sex every 3 months.

He suddenly got angry when I'd go see relatives, visit friends, or even look for work. I finally had enough and insisted on being allowed to socialize. I had barely touched another human in six months. A new friend hugged me and I started sobbing. Not my most masculine moment, but it was overwhelming. It highlighted how bad things had gotten.

Now, I'm out of the relationship. Almost to my goal weight and start to feel proud, I think about that. I know there were a lot of things wrong with that relationship, but it's hard to stay motivated when that's the reaction you get. I've gone from 350lbs to 200 (I was at 185, then quarantine munchies set in). I should be able to be happy about that without that underlying "yeah, but..." feeling.

TL;DR: Was in a very toxic relationship where weight loss was, effectively, punished. Struggling with motivation and conflicted feelings as a result

submitted by /u/Professor01011000
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37fURMs

No comments:

Post a Comment