Tuesday, June 16, 2020

I'm in control

For the first time in my life, I finally feel like I have a handle on my weight loss.

I've struggled with my weight my whole life. As a teenager, I was always chubby and could never get a grasp on my nutrition and exercise. I always thought it was normal to clear my plate, have a late night snack to wind down, and use food as a reward mechanism. I've used food to cope with my emotions my whole life. If I'm sad or stressed, then I deserve a reward. If I'm happy, I want to celebrate with a treat, if I'm bored I want to find a snack. EVERY emotion has revolved around food for my entire life.

Now with COVID-19 in the mix, I completely lost control. I'm high risk due to my sarcoidosis, so the likelihood I'll survive the virus is not great, so my stress level is through the roof. Plus, my two young kids are home, I'm working from home, and my husband has been laid off, so the whole 800 square foot house is complete chaos. Since march I've gained 15 lbs, which is a lot of weight on my 5'3 frame and I was already obese beforehand.

A few days ago, I started to spiral. I was drinking wine and starting down a path of binge eating. As I was sitting on the couch feeling shitty about myself I thought to myself, "I literally have no control anymore." As I thought this to myself, something clicked. Why don't I have control of this? This is one of the few things I can control right now.

I may not have control of the virus, my workload, the fact that my kids have to be homeschooled, the fact that I can't see my family and friends, my small space, the fact that my husband is unemployed, or our limited finances. However, I do have complete control over what I put in my body. I do have complete control over my health. No one can make me eat something bad for me. My body doesn't pull me into the kitchen against my will.

Now, when I feel pressured to eat something, I just think to myself, "I'm on control of this" and the craving completely goes away. It's hard to believe that this never occured to me, but it really is that simple. I am in control. I am responsible for my health and well-being. I can do this.

submitted by /u/slytherin_1316
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3fwxql3

No comments:

Post a Comment