Monday, June 1, 2020

The importance of sleep

This is probably old news to many, but it's been a recent revelation for me: getting quality sleep is an essential part of weight loss and health in general.

I (36/M) have struggled with weight my entire life, first with poor diet habits at home, and then struggling to manage my Type 1 Diabetes and Hypothyroidism as a teenager. Now, I clock in at a morbidly obese now and I have a long way to go as I am just starting my journey (will ease into IF). But beyond just eating right and at the right time, and exercising, it makes sense to me that my efforts will be pointless if I don't make quality sleep an important goal.

In addition to poor diet and lack of exercise, I am a habitual late sleeper, usually midnight-2am is when I finally fall asleep. It's especially terrible since I usually have to awake by 6:30a, so I'm tired and yawning all day. I tend to stay up late wasting time, watching netflix/youtube, social media, reading articles.. none of which is satisfying or worth losing sleep over.

For the last two nights I have made a resolved to get to sleep earlier (11pm both nights). I managed to do this by leaving my laptop and cell phone outside of my room. I lay awake for may 15-20 minutes, but eventually did fall asleep. I found that it's improved my blood sugars and my energy level already. I'm amazed that I haven't started this sooner. A brief internet search shows just how important sleep is for metabolism, hormone balance and just overall. My advice to everyone, and myself first, is to make sleep quality/duration/onset a priority.

submitted by /u/LaVitaNouva
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dvLhYo

No comments:

Post a Comment