Thursday, June 4, 2020

The Mental Side of Losing the Fat

In the last 11 years I have been all over the scale, somewhere in between 145-222. In 2018, I lost 50 pounds but then found myself back up to 222 again. I have since lost 26 pounds back down and I'm currently on a weight loss plan to get down to my goal. Again. SO I know how to lose weight. The theory is simple: burn more calories than you eat; diet & exercise.

So why do I gain the weight? It's not the know-how. It's the mental side of it. No one really talks about that part. My relationship with food needs dealt with so I can maintain when I get there.

I stress eat, I eat to feel better, I eat to comfort myself, and to celebrate. I find myself in this cycle: Have a bad day? Beer and ice cream. Want to celebrate a happy time? Celebrate with carbs. Feeling sad? Better get those cookies out. Accomplished something? Go have a big fancy meal with loved ones!... then i'd feel ashamed and guilty as the scale went up... These habits need to change. Food is energy, it's not a reward, it's not a hug, it shouldn't provide me with lots of happiness or sooth anxiety. Its not something to do. It should not make me feel sluggish. I need to master the emotional/mental part of losing the weight so I can maintain my big weight loss feats going forward.

Don't forget about this part in your journey folks. Try to pinpoint when and why you eat - learn to recognize your triggers and defeat them! I bought myself a journal, and when I find a trigger or I have an unnecessary craving, I journal and try to figure out why and see if I can 'treat' it in a different way.

submitted by /u/roshielle
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/307ZJ4M

No comments:

Post a Comment