Sunday, June 7, 2020

Ways other people in your life can/have motivated you to begin/stay on your weight loss journey?

Hi all, this is my first post on loseit though I’ve commented here/there before :) I hope this post isn’t against the rules in any way.

I have a very close friend who asked me for help in how to motivate her partner into losing weight, she doesn’t want him to do it for aesthetic reasons but because he has been advised by a doctor to lose some weight for health reasons (in the range of around 10-15kg/22-33lbs). He has expressed a desire to lose weight and a plan to work on it to her, but he still hasn’t put in any demonstrable effort in her opinion (still ordering in junk food, not exercising etc.) she herself is an active and fit person and she doesn’t quite get his perspective.

I am someone who lost a lot of weight in the last few years so my advice to her came from my own experiences - I told her to reassure him that her concern had nothing to do with aesthetics and only health, that she was willing to help him pen down what sacrifices he was and wasn’t willing to make and what long lasting lifestyle changes would be sustainable for him, to talk to him about his own thoughts and emotions around the doctor’s comments and experiences growing up on the bigger side etc., and to not tell him to try forms of exercise he didn’t like but to help him figure out forms of exercise he did like.

I would like to open it up to the community to ask if there’s any other advice you have about how to navigate this situation, that I could pass on to her. Thank you!

submitted by /u/ketogize
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2AJuVgf

No comments:

Post a Comment