Tuesday, April 13, 2021

A different way to think about weight loss

I believe in the value of CICO, but I’d like to propose a different way to think about weight loss - one that still respects the science, but that also honors the reality that lasting weight loss requires not just cutting calories, but a lifestyle change.

We use TDEE to calculate a calorie deficit. But there’s another way to use it, in reverse. After playing around with a TDEE calculator for my height at various weights, I realized that a change in weight of 10 lbs results in a reduction in TDEE of 50 calories. Makes sense, as you lose weight, your TDEE drops. But here’s the key insight:

It also works in reverse.

In other words, a permanent drop in daily calories of 50 calories will, in the long run, result in a loss of 10 lbs.

So instead of thinking “I need to cut 35,000 calories to lose 10 lbs” (which is true, but is short term thinking), think of it as “I need to make a lifestyle change that will cut 50 calories from my diet every day, forever.” That’s also true, but is the long term view.

And (to me) it’s more achievable. Cutting 50 calories is one small change. That’s ten pounds. Another small change next week can cut another 50 calories. That’s another ten pounds (eventually). The focus isn’t large temporary changes, but smaller permanent changes that add up over time.

NOTE: 50 calories for 10 lbs are the rough numbers for me. It may be different for you based on your body size. But the principal is the same.

submitted by /u/OriginalCompetitive
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3sge8Gz

No comments:

Post a Comment