Saturday, April 3, 2021

Family frustrations

I've been working on losing weight and getting fit for about a year now, I've taken some breaks here and there and it's been up and down but I've been very serious since January and I've been making some great progress. I (5'6"/168cm) started at 175lbs (last year) and I'm currently down to 147lbs :o I'm honestly not sure what my goal is anymore, weight-wise, but I'm currently very happily still on my program working on building up my muscles.

My problem has been my family, they aren't outwardly disapproving but seem to keep undermining how much progress I've made. My mother and father first made some comments that I was "skinny enough" and essentially told me to stop losing weight. This really bugged me, as I was definitely overweight and it's not a situation where I'm going too far. The most recent time I saw my dad he seemed to warm up to it, saying it was good I was looking after myself but again no congratulations on losing almost 30 pounds. They encouraged me when I was younger to lose weight so I figured they would be really happy for me but they're not. They want to keep focusing on that "I was never fat," which again I don't understand. I was overweight and now I'm not, there is no point protecting my feelings about someone that I no longer am and I feel it just reduces all my progress to nothing. Maybe it's the use of the word "fat" that is bugging them? But I don't see how calling my past self fat is even a problem or worth focusing on.

I want to celebrate myself and my transformation, it's what I've wanted for so long, but I feel so deflated now. Maybe it's my fault for trying to seek approval from others about my weight loss but I just want someone to say something along the lines of "wow you look great, amazing job." Maybe I just have to accept that it's not going to come and praise my work myself.

submitted by /u/extrastuffedravioli
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3sOQMJe

No comments:

Post a Comment