Saturday, April 3, 2021

Would bike riding be a good way for me to lose weight? If so, what general info/tips do you have for beginning riding for obese people?

  • SW: 310
  • CW: 277
  • GW: 137

Probably a really dumb question but I’m wondering if biking is good for weight loss, and if it is, if it’s good for someone who is morbidly obese.

Prior to now my weight loss has been successful at ~3lbs/week with NO exercise because I’m following my doctor’s strict diet of 1200 calories per day. However now that I’ve got a good chunk of weight off we want to start adding movement in.

Before I became morbidly obese I was VERY fit, I was a state champion gymnast as a kid and I did competitive cheerleading, dance, club volleyball and soccer, all the way through college. I let myself go after college when I worked retail and hated every second of my working life. I used fast food to cope.

When I first went back to the gym I went WAY too hard too fast and injured myself in multiple ways. I was NOT prepared to be in a gym in a morbidly obese body. My mind had went straight back to my fit younger days where I could do a lot more a lot quicker. So I learned my lesson in that I have limits due to my size and how out of shape I am.

What I’m currently doing for activity is an aqua fit class 1-3 times a week depending on my schedule. It’s really easy (too easy) and I want to add more.

My sister-in-law just gave me her old bike and my husband is fixing it up for me and I’m wondering if this could be a good option for me for an activity. Is this a good way to burn calories? What should I know before starting? Is there anything special I should know about biking due to me being obese? Basically I’m just looking for any info / tips on starting biking for obese people.

My doc recommended I start with the aqua fit and walking (oh yeah I also walk my dog). And then he kinda left it up to me after that. He just said I need to start a lot lower and slower and listen to my body.

submitted by /u/292to137
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2PRzdd0

No comments:

Post a Comment