Thursday, September 13, 2018

Beyond weight loss

Today, I went to Home Depot to buy mulch. I asked if they would load the mulch into my car because I have a back injury. They said they could. When the man was doing the lifting, I apologized but I couldn’t help. He said that he was obese, and that this was good exercise for him anyway. I should also mention that I made my goal weight five months ago and am fairly thin now.

I told him that I had gained 70 pounds with my pregnancy and that I recently lost the last 30 after years of trying, and that I know how hard weight loss is. His eyes lit up, and he talked about how he had lost 30 pounds since he started working there and that he was logging 15,000 steps a day. Hey said that the hardest thing with that healthy food is expensive. I agreed, but also I mentioned that I had lost weight without changing my diet (just quantity) using My Fitness Pal and a food scale. That it sucked, but that it worked. I also told him that he was doing a great job and that he should keep it up. It was a very nice interaction that I wouldn’t have had if I had never been overweight. I would not have known what to say without my own struggle with weight loss.

Weight loss did a lot for me psychologically in that I was finally able to set goals and (more often than not) meet them. But beyond that, the experience also helped me have respect for how hard it is to create a sustainable calorie deficit and how easy it is to eat our feelings (I still log my calories because I cannot eat intuitively). I feel a lot of empathy and hope when I meet people who are struggling with this problem, and I am not sure I would have felt that before.

submitted by /u/bubbuty
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xb7APN

No comments:

Post a Comment