Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Has anyone had any not-so-pleasant reactions from friends/family about your weight loss?

I started my weight loss journey in June 2018. To date, I have lost 60 lbs! My husband is so proud of me (he’s lost about 45lbs btw) and I’m surprised and proud of myself as well.

Happy feelings aside, it’s becoming clear that with this weight loss, people are treating me differently. When I set out to lose weight, it never even crossed my mind about how people would treat me if my size changed. It could be all in my head about some people, but there is one person in particular that has now made me feel pretty uncomfortable due to my weight loss. My sister-in-law.

I have known her for 12 years now and she has always been overweight. I was also overweight until I decided to do something about it last year. We’ve always been roughly the same size with her being about 15ish lbs more. Ok, now onto the awkward/uncomfortable stuff.

I only see her once every other month or so. The first time I saw her, I had already lost probably about 15 pounds. She asked me how I was losing the weight and I basically told her that I was eating about 1500/cal a day and just making sure to track my food. Nothing magical or anything, just actually paying attention to my diet. She congratulated me on the weight loss and that was all that was said.

The next time I saw her, I believe I had lost 30lbs at that point. She again asked me what I was doing to lose the weight and I pretty much just repeated the same thing that I said last time. She almost became a little accusatory and said she didn’t believe that it was that “easy”. I said that it wasn’t necessarily easy, but that it becomes a lot easier if you track your food and watch your diet. She had a scowl on her face the whole time and seemed almost in disbelief at what I was saying. The conversation just kind of fizzled out after that.

Onto my son’s birthday party in February. At that point, I had lost about 50 pounds and she did the same thing that she had been doing, asking me about my weight loss. It was the same questions with the same disbelief as it had been previously. In addition, she mentioned that her friend had talked to her about maybe taking diet pills (for her, she said). After having that conversation with her, I just couldn’t help but feel like she thinks I’m using some other way to lose weight besides adjusting my diet.

We all went out to lunch for her daughter’s birthday about a week ago. Everyone was having pizza, but I’m not a big pizza fan, so I had some boneless wings. I think I ended up eating about 4 (I ate 3 donuts the night before, so I was cutting back that day). Right after I ate the last one, I hear her say “You must’ve eaten before you got here”. I kind of snapped back and said, “What? Are you watching me eat now?” I caught the snippy tone of my voice and I immediately let out a little laugh like I was just joking. She let out a laugh too and I don’t think she said anything else.

I had felt annoyed and a little badgered by her until then, but this was straight up creepy. I realized after the fact that she had been watching me eat.

I always wished I had some good comebacks when I get any responses that make me feel uncomfortable or aren’t congratulatory.

Anyone have any stories with odd reactions to your weight loss?

submitted by /u/GRAVY_andbiscuits
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2uLdwxk

No comments:

Post a Comment