Monday, April 8, 2019

On talking about weight loss with friends...

I don't talk weight loss with most of my friends — in part because some are on a weight loss journey like I am and I know that comparison is inevitable and sometimes painful when one person is plateauing or otherwise stalling. But I have a friend (who I would consider overweight in a BMI sense but not "visibly fat", I would just say "average") who I felt comfortable talking about weight loss with.

That changed a day or so ago, when I sent her some progress pics (I'm down 34lbs, 195 → 161, 5'2") to keep her updated on how I'm doing, since she lives a few states over and hasn't seen me since the beginning of my weight loss. She congratulated me and everything was going great... until she expressed concern over me wanting to lose more weight. That steamrolled into me telling her my goal weight (120), and she shut down immediately, telling me she felt bad because she's shorter than me and weighs more (130) than my goal weight.

It was jarring to hear her tell me that "120 seems crazy skinny" [it's not, it's literally smack in the middle of a healthy BMI range for a woman my height]. It all seemed very knee-jerk and reactionary and it concerned me, because in what world is 120 too skinny for a 5'2" woman?

I wasn't expecting this... at all. Do any of you all have similar experiences of friends you thought were safe to talk about weight loss when in reality, they weren't?

And, ultimately, if you don't have any friends you can talk with about your weight loss journey, what do you do? How do you seek validation, or just someone to talk with about a big change in your life?

submitted by /u/thrownawayforsureee
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Kkt3yJ

No comments:

Post a Comment