Tuesday, April 9, 2019

“You are so lucky to lose weight so fast”

Yeah, last week I was hit with that.

I am a 34 years old male, I exercise a lot, but the last couple of years I have had some injuries that made me gain a lot of weight. I got serious regarding my weight loss path in February 2nd, and since then I have lost more than 8 kg (18 lb). I went to a doctor, got some nice diet and started light exercising again. I was not that much overweight (now I am at 79 kg/174 lb), so the loss is still really obvious.

But then, while having dinner with my GF’s family last week (most of them are overweight, except for my GF and her brother) noticed my change, and my GF’s sister and mother started telling me “wow, you look really slim, you are SO lucky that you can lose weight SO easily”/“I wish I could lose weight that fast”/“When I try, it never works, I guess that is easier for men”/“yes, it is because of the hormones, it is easier for you”.

Honestly, I had never heard something like that, most people just congratulate me or tell me I look good, but I didn’t expect that reasoning. Of course, I undertood that it was their way to feel better with themselves because they can’t stick with a good diet (they were telling that while eating sandwiches and cakes), so I didn’t bother to reply. I didn’t want to sound arrogant, but it still hurt a little bit that they would not appreciate the effort and say it was just because I’m a man/hormones/etc. But I feel so good that it really doesn’t matter now, I’m just sad for them because I finally understood why they can’t lose weight, and I realize that they need an enormous change in their ideas to get to a healthy weight. I’ll try to help them anyways.

Has something like that ever happened to any of you?

As a bonus: when I went to the doctor, I got an exam called “calorimetría indirecta” (indirect calorimetry? I am not sure how to translate it, I’m sorry). It roughly estimates the calories you burn while resting, it’s a first approach to tell how many calories should you daily eat. The doctor explained that A LOT of people tell him that they can’t lose weight easily even if they don’t eat much, that their bodies are just like that. So he started doing that exam to everybody, to show them how much they really burn, and compare them to the average human. He told me that like 99% of people is within the normal range (as I am), so the exam is a good way to destroy the initial excuse for these kind of people.

submitted by /u/el_robito
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2I6WzpJ

No comments:

Post a Comment