Saturday, September 7, 2019

Has anyone felt smarter ever since they lost weight?

TLDR: Noticed during short stints of weight loss having no brain fog and feeling smarter, want to know if anyone has felt the cognitive ability become higher after choosing to have a healthier lifestyle long term.

I have noticed how the last time I lost weight as a teen, this heavy cloudy feeling (which I now know is known as brain fog) lifted and I felt clearer. Mind you, I lost a stone in a month during the summer time (and had more to lose), and I also suffered from insomnia, so I didn't become a total Einstein as I couldn't apply my new mind to my schoolwork at the time and realistically it probably would have took a year or more to recover any damage I had done to my brain. But during that summer month, things didn't feel as heavy in my mind, I wasn't as daydreamy and depressed and I focused a lot more, as well as feeling more happy and socially confident. I felt I could soak everything in and remember things the first time around.

Of course, I fucked it all up by gaining 3 stone over the past 7 years and went back to feeling depressed and dumb with my weight gain as well as not seeking help for my insomnia. My school and college grades were average as best, even though I had an interest in certain subjects. Only way I could describe it is as if there was a boulder pushing down on my brain so only a limited amount of info will go in. After that I felt too mentally tired and weak to continue on and just wanted to do something else less taxing.

Now I am trying to get back into again, especially since I have discovered I have PCOS which I feel was one of the root causes for my weight gain. So I now know what my body needs to avoid entirely if I want to maintain the weight loss. I already gave up white pasta which I was to have massive bowls of every single day, as well as trying to fix my insomnia and for the first few weeks, I lost 6 pounds without much effort and when I get the full 8 hours sleep some nights, I don't suffer headaches, my memory has improved a lot, and a lot of tasks (either mentally (ex.studying) or physically (ex. exercise) are not as hard anymore. But Rome was not built in a day, so I know I have a long journey ahead if I want to see some huge improvements, mentally and physically.

So I was wondering from anyone else's experience if they felt their cognitive ability became higher when they decided to choose a healthier lifestyle? I know it is wishful thinking, but if you knew what my life is like as an adult in their late 20's coming across as an invalid, you would understand why I am clinging on to some hope.

submitted by /u/nosleepstupid
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2PTbSak

No comments:

Post a Comment