Friday, September 20, 2019

Tried Soul Cycle

I started my weight loss journey in March/April. Someone had suggested Soul Cycle to me, but it intimidated me. So I joined a nicer gym in my town that had a good cycle studio.

I started going 3 days a week and that now has increased to spinning 4 days a week and also adding in yoga, barre and weight training. I know I lost weight, but I’m still far from my goal weight.

I’ve learned a lot at my gym. About my body, nutrition and exercise. The instructors don’t just teach classes, they spend time with the members. I’ve learned proper form and setting up of my bike. How to properly stretch before and after classes, how to balance RPM with resistance and position to make sure I don’t cause injury and what heart rate ranges I should be in to suit my goals.

My coworker, a shiny, young, slender person full of life and wonder invited me to soul cycle with him. I decided to say yes. Intimidated of a fancy studio in the city with young people, I chose my most stylish workout outfit to wear and went to class with him.

Here is what I observed:

It’s all hype. The instructor had amazing energy. I introduced myself as a newbie to spinning and still didn’t get direction. I had to ask someone to help me with my bike set up and she just showed me how to adjust it and not actually the positions to adjust too.

No one explained positions to me or what the commands that would be shouted over the music meant.

They wanted fast legs on no road. HOW people have been doing this without ruining their hips and knees is beyond me.

I was called out by the instructor after class as doing extremely well. She said she could tell within 10 minutes that I had spun before. My coworker, trying to be helpful, kept telling me to take road off my bike and was impressed that I could keep the beat with road on my bike.

It was a good workout. I sweat an incredible amount and my heart rate was high the entire time.

They didn’t stretch us out adequately, they didn’t have recovery moments, no 30 seconds flat road to get a sip of water and recover, closed doors and no fans and we were on top of each other.

Honestly, I had fun and plan on doing it again maybe once or twice a month. But not regularly. Its a good way to break up my serious rides and do something different, but I don’t think that it’s good for me to do regularly as a healthy way to lose weight.

I find it funny that I wanted to lose weight and get in shape to go to a fancy and intimidating studio. But I went and was less than impressed.

submitted by /u/tortsy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Qi4KnX

No comments:

Post a Comment