Sunday, October 6, 2019

I lost 7 pounds in one week... here’s how

This clickbait post really isn’t about the numbers. It’s about how weight loss doesn’t have to be a demanding, obsessive and shaming uphill battle. I have used this community as support the last time I lost weight, and it helped, but I think it exclusively focuses on caloric deficiency without also addressing the internal factors (stress, depression, etc.) that made us get into this predicament in the first place. I have been struggling with my weight for years, losing and then regaining due to binge eating as a result of eating disorder recovery. I am in the normal weight category but my body type is slim so extra weight feels especially noticeable. Last time I weighed myself, I was 65 kg. This morning I was at 62kg. I had been continuing to binge eat almost everyday but food seemed to lose it’s appeal and so my binge quantity was diminishing. I no longer restricted myself of food that I craved and so (many months later) it finally didn’t seem forbidden and elicit a giant binge. 7 days ago, my back gave out and I lost so much mobility that it hurt to sit down and eat a meal. However, this forced me to be aware of my bodily sensations; I could no longer ignore the pain. 4 days ago, I received information that I had been stressing over and anticipating for the past 4 months. With this news, I could physically feel a weight being lifted from my shoulders. Yesterday, I cried and screamed until nothing more would come out. I have been holding onto so much anger, anxiety and sadness (all the way back from childhood) and I finally let it out without mitigation. I don’t have any urges or cravings for junk food. I am satisfied after a little bit of healthy, wholesome food. I am glad that the stress has subsided for a while but the real challenge will be to continue to listen to my body and accept the present moment when things aren’t going as planned rather than using food as an escape. For me, I have always known that stress has a negative effect on the body. But this really is experiential knowledge that when I am calm and at peace, weight loss is no longer the goal—listening and respecting my body is. The body knows. It is due to denial/not accepting the things as they are that makes us remain in a state of resistance and repression as we try to stuff it down with food. I recommend body scan meditations and deep breathing for everyone to begin to get back in touch with their bodies. If you do have cravings or feel stressed, don’t just ignore it or give in without thought; figure out why and try to make a plan to accept what is happening, and not with food. Everyone’s story is different but I believe that if we get in touch with our bodies, we will know what is right for us.

submitted by /u/stellahazel
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2AJwuYh

No comments:

Post a Comment