Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Loud Stomach (Possibly Caused by Weight Loss?)

Hey! I consider myself fairly knowledgable when it comes to fitness and weight loss. By now I'm also fairly experienced. There is however one issue I have trouble tackling and I'd appreciate your help in that regard. Quick background on me. Was really into one team sport between the ages 5-18, sustained major injury, changed my habits, became obese (got to around 330lbs). After a good few years, I decided I need to do something about it. I lost 100lbs in 10 months or so. Coasted around 230-240lbs for a year after that. Slipped a bit. Got to 265lbs. Started cutting again at the beginning of the year (4-months of which were 'serious', the rest far less so). I'm now 225lbs and doing just fine weight loss wise.

Now to the subject at hand, I started a new job this year and a few months ago I also started doing nightshifts. Surprisingly, nightshifts didn't affect my weight loss much (it's not ideal, but I maintain my habits and try to get plenty of sleep) but I think they might have affected my digestion.

Before one of my first nightshifts, I ate one of my usual meals that consisted of a bunch of cooked lentils and some carb source (either rice or pasta, probably the latter). During said nightshift, my stomach became violently loud. Now, keep in mind that I didn't (and still don't) have any other unpleasant symptoms. My stomach may feel ever so slightly more 'tender' than it used to but it's barely noticeable. It doesn't hurt, I don't have any other issues. It's just the noise.

All in all, the issue persists with varying levels of severity (occasionally it's super loud, most of the time my stomach just mikes minor noises, that are noticeable but not super loud) I did some amateur n=1 research on myself, nothing too strict and here are some potentially relevant findings:

- There seem to be some foods that trigger the issue, but it also feels a bit random. Initially, it was caused by lentils. From what I remember, I might have rinsed them less thoroughly than usual. But I ate plenty of well-rinsed beans and legumes after that and they didn't cause such a severe reaction (just the minor sound). I used to be vegetarian and I quickly learned about the inverted U efficacy of fiber (too much and too little are bad, moderate is the way to go) so I take that into account, and going too high on fiber doesn't seem to be a main cause. This is because food that triggers the issue without a shadow of a doubt is canned tuna (but not other meats) which has no fiber whatsoever.

- It's not ideal, but when - due to lack of time - I go heavier on food replacements instead of whole foods (protein shakes and bars). It keeps the issue to a minimum.

- Carbonated drinks make the issue worse but not terribly so.

- Sugar alcohols make the issue noticeably worse (doesn't matter if they come from a meal-substitute or all-natural grapes etc.).

- It happens less often throughout the day, but it doesn't happen exclusively during nightshifts (it's just when it started).

- I recently turned thirty, perhaps loud borborygmi is just something I need to contend with?

- Feel free to disregard this, but one bro-science idea that I considered, is that I might have lost a bunch of subcutaneous fat, borborygmi has always been there but the sound was more insulated? The violent episodes are somewhat rare (happened just a couple of times after the first) it's mostly that I now notice that my stomach makes noises either when I'm hungry or digesting food.

My plan is to go on a common-sense elimination diet (your classic bodybuilder style rice or potatoes, protein, and low-gas veggies) and start adding/removing potential triggers gradually, but in the meantime, it's causing me some amount of stress (I would be wrecked with anxiety if I was in my twenties, now it just makes me ever so slightly self-conscious during the minor episodes, and a bit more so during those rare violent episodes). I might also consult a doctor but it's just... noise. I don't have any other symptoms so it's not IBS or anything like that. I'll likely hear that borborygmi is perfectly natural.

I realize this is a lot of info, but I purposefully included a bunch in hopes that someone might have encountered something similar. Thanks in advance for the help random internet people!

submitted by /u/SubstantialBiscuit
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2M0LfMz

No comments:

Post a Comment