Thursday, October 17, 2019

My 1 year Weight Loss Journey - 50 lbs lost and bloodwork!

https://imgur.com/a/Bn7vMcA

My story

Hey everyone, first time posting to this sub, but I wanted a place to celebrate! A year ago I started to realize that I was having a problem. I was the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I was eating so much sugar and I think I was addicted to gummy worms. I would literally come home and my wife would smell them on my breath haha, it was a problem. I was spending around $60-70 a month just on gummy worms. My mental health was at an all time low. I had been on antidepressants for years but they began to be less and less effective. I was talking to a friend of mine who told me flat out "You are getting really fat and killing yourself slowly! Go to the gym!" I did my best to explain that I thought you could lose weight by just eating well but he refused to believe me. I ended up getting so frustrated that he didn't think you could lose weight without exercise that I decided I was going to eat better immediately!

I started on a Keto diet- which I now have somewhat mixed feelings about- and saw success. I stuck with Keto for about 6 months. My diet had a lot of greens, a lot of eggs, and a lot of meat. I immediately started feeling a lot better! I think the fact that I went from eating 1K calories from gummies in a day to 0 had a big impact! My skin cleared up, and I started to feel a lot better emotionally. I continued for about 6 months but near the end I began getting really bad brain fog and just generally not feeling great. I think the issue was that I became lenient on keto and did more of a dirty keto. I would eat a bacon-wrapped cheesy beef patty pretty regularly as long as it fit my macros.

Keto took me from 285 to 245 in this time.

After Keto I switched to a more plant-based diet. I still eat limited meat and animal products, but probably only around 3 times per week. There are some ethical/religious reasons for this, but mostly I think I just got burned out on Keto and enjoyed the variety that came with this new way of eating. Within a few weeks I started feeling much better mentally (Although I had farts from hell itself for the first month. I was NOT used to that much fiber). After a few months of WFPB-ish eating I decided I wanted a physical outlet as well and began training in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. I train for about 4-5 hours per week. With all of these combined I began feeling WAY better, much more confident, and I was able to work with my psychiatrist to get off of my anti-depressants (Although I acknoledge that this was just my personal experience and I am in no way implying dieting can "cure depression" for everyone)

Today I am weighing in anywhere from 230-235 pretty consistently and my weight loss has slowed a lot, but I still feel great.

Takeaways

- I went from 285-235 lbs in about a year

- Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is amazing and everyone should do it

- Morning oatmeal gives me so much energy!

- Blood work also improved:

Blood Pressure went from 135/84 to 118/72

Total cholestoral went from 172 mg/dl to 148

LDL: 120 to 89

Minimal change in HDL

I feel wonderful and I am excited to continue my journey!

submitted by /u/TadTheKobold
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ppwfPz

No comments:

Post a Comment