Thursday, October 3, 2019

My biggest mistake was checking the scale

So back story, I’m 35M, have been overweight (hovered around the 340lbs mark) since my early-20’s, and most recently peaked at 356lbs back in May. I had tried different diets, exercise regimens, etc to no avail, but this past summer something clicked. I started to give myself a monthly “allowance,” and put the rest towards debt, savings, etc., and suddenly had less money to blow on junk food. The end result was me watching what I eat (way easier when you’re actually cooking your own food), and getting into a good, healthy groove.
There was no specific plan, I laid off the things I knew were bad, eliminated most processed foods (I would enjoy an occasional outing with friends), and started actually eating normal-sized portions. I drank a ton of water to curb cravings, and made sure to eat fewer carbs and more proteins/fiber to help with that. This led to me feeling better, which led to exercising. I started walking my dogs a lot more instead of just letting them out in the yard, and did a spin workout three times a week. That was it, nothing crazy. The whole time I didn’t check the scale, but noticed clothes fitting looser and my overall cardio stamina was much better. After heading back to work a few weeks back (I’m a teacher), several of my coworkers had commented on my appearance. After a conversation with one, he suggested I check the scale to see how much weight I’ve dropped, and two weeks ago I finally did. It read 310lbs, I had dropped 46lbs since late May. The problem is that the past 10 days have been bad. BAD. I feel like I’ve completely “fallen off the wagon,” and it’s all because I see the weight loss and decide that it’s ok to “celebrate.” There were also plenty of stressors at work (teacher...), and I know I’ll be fine and right the ship, but I’m amazed at how much looking at scale affected my approach. I know this seems counterproductive, but I suppose I’m writing this to inform others that everything you read here is not dogma. You may be like me and not have the discipline to look at the scale regularly, and that’s ok. We know what healthy food looks like, we know what unhealthy food looks like, try to get into the flow of things, and find what works for you. I know I’m in the minority with this, but this is the most successful I’ve ever been with weight loss, and it’s because I’ve rejected a critical element.

TL;DR Experienced successful weight loss for first time by not looking at the scale because I’m weird.

submitted by /u/tacoscholar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2LLkbRx

No comments:

Post a Comment