Saturday, October 19, 2019

Was super excited for vacation food, ended up disappointed

I had an interesting experience last weekend and I'm wondering if anyone else can relate to it or would like to share similar experiences.

Six months ago, I began my weight loss journey and have lost 45 lbs so far. Two months ago, I moved hundreds of miles away to a new state to start my career. Last year, and every year before that that I can remember, I would go to the state fair in my old state and absolutely pig out on all the fair foods: funnel cake, deep fried oreos, turkey legs, smoothie in a pineapple, deep fried red velvet cheesecake on a stick, etc. I'm also really into renaissance festivals, and I would go to the renaissance festival in my old state around the same time.

This year, unfortunately, I didn't get to go to my old state's fair, and my mom and I planned a vacation to a renaissance festival that's bigger than the one in my old state. We went last weekend. Since that was my only vacation this year (for financial reasons) and was planned months in advance, I had mentally prepared myself to basically take a break from my healthy eating habits and gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted at the festival. I was looking forward to eating the types of fair food I had always enjoyed at my old state's fair.

Well, it was a huge letdown. Being a renaissance festival, the food wasn't on par with the state fair. There were no bacon wrapped grilled cheeses, no deep fried garlic cheese curds, and the red velvet funnel cake just tasted like disappointment. I felt like I had hyped myself up so much - about the food specifically - and yet the reality sucked. I made my mom walk all around the festival with me to see the different foods available, and then she had to listen to me complain that there was nothing I wanted to eat. They had deep fried oreos, but I've realized in the past few months that I don't even like oreos - I just used to eat them because they were available - that I didn't bother with them. I basically just ended up eating a bunch of chocolate covered strawberries.

On the plus side, I did voluntarily share food with her for the first time ever. We did really like smores on a stick, and I didn't want all those calories, so she got to taste foods she never would have ordered herself (she is very fit and active, former triathlete and figure competitor, and has been my cheerleader throughout this journey). She also bought a new leather dress and it fit me too, which was awesome because my mom has always been at least a couple sizes smaller than me.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone else has ever hyped up the food at some event, given themselves permission to indulge, and then realized it was just disappointing?

submitted by /u/PurpleHairEngineer
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/32wFGLE

No comments:

Post a Comment