Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Weight Loss interacting with Depression

I lost 60 pounds in 2017. I looked + felt great, but wasn't very careful about nutrients and a considerable of my hair fell out (I'm a girl).

Over the last year and a half, I've gained 20-30 pounds of it back and had to buy new clothes. Part of this was a new job that had lots of free snacks, but more recently, it was depression and stress eating. I would eat to feel something; eat to avoid feeling something--whatever. I intentionally started cutting back on snacks and tracking what I eat about 6-8 weeks ago, and have lost 6 pounds! Then, I realized I was depressed. I had to admit it. I wasnt taking care of myself. I lost interest in things I loved. The excessive eating wasn't the cause of my problems: it was a side effect.

I went to a psychiatrist a few weeks ago and they're changing my medication to help deal with this new round of depression. Problem is, since that visit, I haven't been hungry very much. Now this could be my depression, or this could be a side effect of weaning off the old meds + ramping up the new meds. I'm not at a high enough dosage of either to really feel much. When I spoke with my doctor, I've realized that I've been basically only feeling two emotions for the past several months: hunger and fear. The depression doesnt give me energy to feel anything else. And now, without feeling hunger, I'm worried.

I want to lose weight so my clothes fit better, but I don't want to lose my hair again. I dont want to have even less energy to put towards daily tasks. I ate 1,022 Calories yesterday and it was a struggle. I have not hit 500 Calories today.

I dont know what I'm looking for in posting this, I just know that I cant be the first person to go through this. I guess I'm wondering, what are everyone's experiences with losing weight while battling depression?

Sidenote-mobile. Sorry if the formatting's awful.

I also cant fix my flair, but those stats are old. Currently, I'm 175.

submitted by /u/SecretlyBadass
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/33WyjgK

No comments:

Post a Comment