Friday, April 16, 2021

115 lbs down - under 200 lbs for the first time in my adult life

Under 200 lbs for the first time in my adult life! https://imgur.com/gallery/rND2sXW

tldr: lost 115 lbs by quitting sugar, counting calories and walking. Small sustainable changes over a long period of time.

34F 5'7" HW 314 lbs, CW 199 lbs, GW 145 lbs

This is a milestone three years in the making. Sometimes it's hard to be patient as I slowly lose weight, but I can't believe my weight starts with a one! I haven't been this light since high school.

I want to thank this sub, the Century Club, r/foodaddiction and r/xxfitness for commiserating, motivating and inspiring me.

How I did it: Three years ago I took a blood test and found my vitamin D was very low. I started taking supplements and found I was less lethargic. I used that energy to start walking around my neighbourhood. Short walks naturally turned into 60 then 90 minute walks as the months went by. Then I joined a gym and got into the habit of going to yoga or pilates every Saturday and Sunday. Over the course of 2019 I had made exercise part of my everyday routine, but lost only 20 lbs because my binge eating disorder and sugar addiction were wildly out of control.

I knew that I would never have a healthy body if I didn't fix my head first. I was abusing food as a drug to numb myself from life. I decided to stop using food as my only source of happiness, jump headfirst into misery and use it as motivation to make big changes in my life. I ended several toxic relationships and used the energy I was wasting on improving myself instead.

In January 2020 I quit sugar, it was the best decision I have ever made and I highly recommend it. The first three weeks were pure hell, but I was stubborn enough to white knuckle through and eventually the cravings got less and less until they finally stopped months later. I am grateful to r/foodaddiction and the Brain Over Binge podcast for educating and motivating me to get my addiction under control.

In the first seven months of 2020 I lost 80 lbs by tracking calories and walking 10+km per day. Following my doctor's advice, I maintained for the remainder of the year. I kept up daily walks and my new food habits, but stopped tracking calories. It was the first time in my life weight loss wasn't immediately followed by regain. Being able to maintain my weight for five months was a huge accomplishment.

At the beginning of 2021 I decided to start losing again. I started tracking calories on weekdays to make sure I was in a caloric deficit. I still walk every day but began doing body weight exercises too. I use the free apps from Leap Fitness Group for planks and female fitness. I started following r/xxfitness and those ladies are super inspiring!

In summary, I attribute my success to keeping a long term view. Small changes over a long period of time really work. It takes too much effort to force yourself into doing things you aren't used to or don't want to do. The key is to change your default every day habits. I can indulge one day and know it doesn't matter in the long term because tomorrow I'll still be eating high protein, high fibre, well portioned meals and enjoying exercising.

submitted by /u/AdoreLisbon
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QsW9zp

No comments:

Post a Comment