Friday, April 23, 2021

Can't escape the plateau, becoming discouraged, looking for advice.

Last August, my wife and I made the decision that we needed to live a healthier lifestyle. We were both very overweight , very sedentary, and ate high calorie/heavily processed foods regularly. We slowly changed our eating habits (tracking all food with a scale), no more eating out, and setting a minimum step count of 5000 steps every day (goal was 10,000). Since then we've both made significant progress. I am 5'9", started at 227lbs and I now weigh 180lbs.

As of right now our diet is very healthy and controlled. No binging, (the occasional treat no more than once a week), and fairly well balanced (I think). We're more active than I ever thought we could be. I do strength training mon, wed, fri, and yoga tues and thurs. I also do 15 - 30 mins of running each of those days (depending on the strength/yoga workout to round it out to a solid hour of exercise). We also get out and move on weekends, whether it's yard work, hiking, or even booting around the mall.

Here's my problem, I've plateaued at 180lbs and I can't escape it. I've been this exact weight for almost 3 months now. I've tried changing my diet (adding protein and fiber, reducing carbs, and even adding more carbs). I've tried to vary my exercise routine more (adding in weights, adding in more cardio, different exercises, increasing intensity). Tried taking circumference measurements (in case increased muscle was offsetting weight loss), but my body seems like its just done changing. *Caveat, I do have a thyroid condition. My medication has been slowly reduced (due to the weight loss) , but I've been stable on that for a while now.

I've gone from being ecstatically proud of myself, with my efforts clearly paying off, to now wondering "why should I even bother?" (I gained 2lbs this week). I'm sure someone else out there has plateaued longer than they thought they should've, and I'm just looking for any advice you fine people are willing to give.

Thank you

submitted by /u/Vund3rkind
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3xiL0SB

No comments:

Post a Comment