Thursday, April 1, 2021

[Century Club] April 1, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: What didn't work? - Milestones - Seasonal changes - Is it worth it? - Surprising Food Facts - Mistakes were made - Time to Vent - Relief Valves - Seeing Objectively - Tips you hate - Fear and Self-Loathing - Starting - 2020 recap


Today's topic: April Fools!

It's April! One quarter of 2021 is now in the books. Hooray and horror!

It's Passover, Easter is right around the corner, and Spring is actively in gear in the Northern hemisphere. My oldest son and partner both have birthdays to celebrate later in the month. Despite many parts of the world apparently heading back into strict quarantines for a fourth wave, there is still optimism that the vaccines will soon help us define a new normal.

In the spirit of today's "holiday"... I was going to post an amusing anecdote from past practical jokes that might have been weight to food related. However upon reflection last night I realized that most of these were actually rather mean spirited and even potentially dangerous.

Being fat or actively trying to lose weight can make one a lightning rod for other people's "jokes".

Both my oldest son and partner have serious food allergies. I've spent the better part of 20 years trying to be aware of what's in the foods we buy so that I can keep help them safe. So there's nothing funny about getting someone to eat something they wouldn't normally choose to eat on their own and that may actually harm them or violate any religious dietary choices they may have made.

I myself have certain foods I choose not to eat often despite really enjoying them. Leeks are a big one. For many years now even the slightest hint of leeks in my food has caused severe indigestion. Even if I picked out every visible leek from my dish, I would have severe cramps and indigestion. Enough to keep me up at night. Earlier this week, since so many things have changed about how I eat and the food makes me feel, I decided to put that to the test and we made a shrimp and leek risotto for dinner. The effects were far less pronounced than recent memory. I experienced some discomfort, but it was controllable with an antacid. Maybe I will someday be able to eat leeks a bit more regularly!

So, Centurion, this took a serious turn away from where I initially wanted it to go! Today's prompt is twofold. Staying on the serious front, are there any foods or ingredients you avoid for reasons other than their caloric content? Allergies? Intolerance? Sensitivities? Otherwise, make me laugh. Got any actually funny stories relating to your weight loss journey?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3wsXWVQ

No comments:

Post a Comment