Thursday, April 15, 2021

[Century Club] April 15, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: Multiple Centuries - April Fools! - What didn't work? - Milestones - Seasonal changes - Is it worth it? - Surprising Food Facts - Mistakes were made - Time to Vent - Relief Valves - Seeing Objectively - Tips you hate - Fear and Self-Loathing - Starting - 2020 recap


Today's topic: Loose Skin Redux

Thanks to all the Super-Centurions that participated in last week's thread. My hat is off to all of you that have not only lost 100 lbs, but so many quite a bit more than that! It's amazing and inspiring.

Even though it hasn't been quite a year since we last covered this topic, we have a bunch of new members and regular participants and it seems to come up frequently as a reason not to even start a large weight loss journey.

Each of us has carried the weight of an additional adult human being under our skin. A smaller woman in my case, but an adult male for many of you that have lost even more than the 115-120 lbs I have lost.

I lost my weight slowly, 1.2 lbs/week on average maximum for any three month period, but that's the only thing I did to try and prevent loose skin. Give it time to keep up with my changing body.

A year later and I find that my loose skin has continued to change and evolve. It still doesn't bother me on a daily basis. It's there, but generally invisible, under my boxer briefs. I really have to look at myself naked to see the full extent of it. A year ago I had more obvious loose skin on my inner thighs, and my butt kind of looked like a Shar-Pei. Those areas have continued to improve. I barely notice them even if I do wide squats naked, and some of that is that I have continued to run and do lower body exercise for the past year and have probably added some muscle to my thighs and glutes.

If anything, I feel that my loose skin on the lower part of my belly appears looser than a year ago. I can pinch the skin there and pull it about an inch away from my body. My waist circumference hasn't changed much if at all, but my midsection doesn't look quite as slim as it did last April/May. Despite my adding core work to the mix throughout the winter. I still see vague outlines of some of my abdominal muscles when my weight is under 160, but if I plank naked the skin seems to hang a bit lower.

The loose skin on my neck seems better than it did a year ago, or maybe I'm just used to it now. Dropping ~ 3 inches in neck circumference from 18+ to 15 is a pretty big change, but it doesn't quite look like a turkey neck on Zoom calls anymore.

I'm still not planning to have any of it surgically removed. I spend most of my life clothed, and since most of it is contained under my boxer briefs, it's rarely visible to anyone but me.

How about you Centurion? Do you have lots of loose skin after weight loss? What did you do to prevent loose skin during weight loss? How did you deal with getting over the mental block of worrying about loose skin being a problem for you? Have you done anything after weight loss to reduce the loose skin or at least reduce it's appearance? Have you had any skin surgically removed or are you planning to do so later?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QrORMi

No comments:

Post a Comment