Sunday, April 4, 2021

ONE YEAR PROGRESS REPORT: 364 to 319; 45 pound loss, not the 100 pounds I'd planned

This community is incredibly supportive. Anonymous communication is very helpful to me. I experience great shame at my self-created predicament.

GOOD NEWS-BAD NEWS

The good news is that I've dropped from 364 to 319. That's a drop of about 45 pounds. It's significant and I'm thrilled by it. I had to have some of my clothes re-tailored to fit me. Although, other clothes are only slightly loose. I find that surprising.

I went from 364 to about 305 by December. But then I gained from December to January about 15 pounds, bringing me back to 320.

The bad news? The objective data (collected via body fat calipers, tape measure, and scale with bodyfat impedance calculations -- show that my current body fat percentage is about what it was when I started. Even more incredibly, the Trendweight.com site I use (highly highly recommend) shows that my body fat percentage rose from 38% to 44% (impedence) and 36% to 39% (calipers). I find it incredibly confusing. My waist circumference went from 56" to 50" (when I went to 305) and back to 54" (back to 320).

FOOD / NUTRITION

My nutrition was not so great in Dec-2020 and Jan-2021 and Feb-2021. I admit it -- and my weight rose because of it. I have gargantuan amounts of nutrition data. I made it from something like March-December 2020 tracking all meals and snacks I consumed. For a period of a month or two -- I weighed everything I ate with a kitchen scale. That became so tedious and mind numbing--and I got better at estimates and tracking--that I modified things to an estimate base that was so close to what I was measuring that I stopped weighing EVERYTHING. (I still weigh some things).

My calories hover around 1900-2300 calories. I'm consistently a little short on protein (shooting for 1g/lb of lean mass, about 170-180 lean mass, depending on the body fat calculation).

EXERCISE

My exercise has been consistent and robust. Believe it or not -- I enjoy some run walks (new dog!) -- about 16-18 minute miles; I do a good mountain bike ride every week or two -- and a regular street ride 1-2 times per week. I regularly lift weights (more kettlebells these days, but have most of the other equipment) - I also use TRX and a rowing machine. I'm working out 30-60 minutes, 4-6 days per week. The family and I walk several miles a day as well. I hope to return to swimming shortly, too.

THE LAWS OF PHYSICS

Although you may hear it differently--let me be emphatically transparent. The laws of physics apply to everyone. The body is an energy management machine -- it takes fuel in and burns it through motion, activity and BMR. I don't think I'm any exception to that rule. (I do think I have so much fat on my body, however, that my bmr is nothing like a 10% body fat 320 pounder - that part I **DO** understand.

MY REVISED PLAN

So, truth be told, I thought a year ago, I'd be down 100 pounds today. I'm not, I'm down 45% -- about half way to that original goal. While I **feel** like I'm doing the right things, over the past month or so, I've not gotten the correct results. I'm either consuming too much fuel, or not burning enough fuel, or a combination thereof.

So, my logical and simplistic side takes over: Dude, just drop daily consumption by 500 calories; or drive up daily caloric expenditure by 500 calories, or do a combination of the two. If you do so, you'll drop 3500 calories a week, which is a pound a week - which is 52 pounds in the next 52 weeks. I'd drop to about 270.

I know if someone told me this story, I would like them in the eye and say: You're burning fewer calories today then yesterday -- and your consuming a few too many calories. You're basically at an energy equilibrium. You just showed yourself you could run an energy deficit. Go do that again, just at your 320 level.

I'd then add: It's time to get more serious about resistance training. It's time to make an effort at building muscle while dropping fat. Probably three very serious weight training sessions every week.

And then I'd say: Have you considered hiring a professional trainer that has a track record for helping obese people drop fat and weight while developing muscle? Cause dude, you have cash and resource -- use it to save yourself if that's what it takes.

WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY (WLS)

I've been on the weight loss surgery roster for several years. About two years I got down to 285, but then I lost it when work got out of control, and my diet went out of control and my exercise levels dropped significantly. It scares the hell out of me.

HISTORY -

I've been tracking my progress (or lack thereof!) here for a few years. Here's one of the archives:

https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/grdlx0/52yo_male_346_pounds_down_15_trying_to_find/

Also, got some great insight from u/funchords and u/koopzegels. I hope they'll assist me here, as I'm feeling a bit down and depressed.

QUESTIONS

Suggestions for me?

Anyone else get readings of losing muscle rather than fat? What did you do?

Anyone have good experience working with a trainer to develop a weight loss plan? (Ive worked with a nutritionist - maybe it was just her - but it just wasn't to my taste. I felt shame all the time in there -- and it produced negative results -- I gained weight during the time I went to her).

Any secret to newfound motivation as one enters into year two of the struggle?

submitted by /u/tk-0318
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3fHaUta

No comments:

Post a Comment