Wednesday, April 14, 2021

PSA: Turn off wifi if your iPhone step tracker is obviously wrong

Recently got back in the swing of tracking and noticed that my Apple Health steps were very off—e.g., I'd walk somewhere a mile from my home, but after going there and back it would estimate I walked 1.5 miles instead of 2. This isn't a huge deal in regards to my weight loss goals, since I'm not usually walking enough to create a large deficit, but I do like seeing whether or not I hit my step goals for the day!

After confirming I had everything on that I was supposed to, and reading that iPhones rely on GPS, data and wifi to track your location/steps taken, I realized that occasionally my phone will automatically connect to a poor wifi service while I'm walking around, and I wondered if that would affect the tracking. (I definitely have my phone set to use wifi over data whenever possible, and that's not a setting I want to constantly be toggling back and forth.) I turned off my wifi before I went for my walk today, and sure enough, the numbers I'm seeing make much more sense.

Hope this helps someone else!

submitted by /u/halfadash6
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3tlIett

No comments:

Post a Comment