Sunday, April 4, 2021

The Power of Posing: How it affects progress pictures

Progress photos. We hear a lot about them on this subreddit, because for many it may be the best way for them to track their weight loss journey. I do want to express a word of caution to those using them though. Below is my progress photo.

https://imgur.com/a/dSUfKVw

The photo on the left was taken on January 9th, at 310ish pounds. The photo on the right was taken yesterday, April 3rd, at 295lbs. Now, it actually looks like a fair bit more than a 15lb loss. As you can see, my neck is a bit slimmer, the double chin is nearly gone, and my shirt is hanging a lot looser.

So, what changed? How I was posed (hence the title). Using my background in photography, I was able to manipulate how I was standing to exaggerate my weight loss. For the neck/chin, it was a matter of pushing my head forward a bit. This stretches out the skin on the neck, reducing the visibility of a double chin and makes it appear narrower. For the torso, it was a matter of pulling my shoulders back, pushing my chest out, and sucking in the ol' gut.

So what does this have to do with weight loss progress pictures? It's to show the importance of consistent posing. Maintaining a consistent pose will give you a better overall perspective as to how your body composition has really changed.

In addition to that, it's to help people that struggle with seeing candid photos of themselves. I've seen a number of posts on here since I joined from people upset that a candid photo of them looks just like how they looked before they started losing weight. And that's really how powerful posing can be. You can take a really slim person, and pose them in such a way that makes them look much heavier. Or you can take a heavy person, pose them really well, and make them look much slimmer.

We all remember the 'Myspace' pose right? High angle shot looking down? That was done specifically to make the person look slimmer. The same trick applies to any picture.

So when you take your progress pictures, it's paramount that you maintain a consistent pose. That will give you the best idea of how you look along your weight loss journey.

Hope this helps some of you that may be suffering from some photo discouragement. Your weight loss may be hidden under an inconsistent pose.

submitted by /u/bertzie
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2PRdbHc

No comments:

Post a Comment