Tuesday, November 23, 2021

How to actually appreciate the progress?

Since my highest weight about a year ago at 283lbs I'm currently down to 237 (as of last weekend). My current diet will continue for another three weeks and at that point I will be fairly close to the halfway point of my goal to lose 100lbs. Objectively things are looking very good, I've been passionate education myself about nutrition, diet and sports physiology this year and have developed a plan that I'm sticking to near perfectly. For the first time in my life I have zero doubt that I'm now able to regulate my weight however I want to with the things I've learned and I know that I will be close to my goal in another year or so.

However I'm currently facing the following problem. I've noticed the weight loss in nearly every aspect of life:

  • physical fitness greatly increased
  • clothing has become clearly too loose, I've already had to buy new pants and can wear hoodies that last fit me in 2017
  • people notice the transformation
  • scale weight and body measurements have drastically changed
  • I notice a slight difference in my face when comparing a current picture with an old one

BUT here's the thing. I look in the mirror today and still hate what I see. I hate it equally as much as I did 365 days ago. It seems that my perception of self has not improved at all, rather my perception of my past self has just gotten worse.
If I were asked to rate myself in terms of appearance a year ago, I would've given myself a 2/10. If asked today I would still give myself a 2/10, however if asked today I would rate myself from a year ago a 0/10 instead.

Despite clear evidence of my plan working exactly as intended and amazing success, my subjective experience has not improved at all. While I feel some kind of abstract pride for what I've managed so far, that is purely based on tangible, numerical differences. My true sentiment is the exact same. Has anyone experienced a similar thing? How did it develop as you kept getting closer and eventually reaching your goal. Has your perception of self become better once you started to become objectively good-looking? Would appreciate all reports/advice/discussion.

tl;dr: despite successfully losing nearly half the needed weight already, I still hate my appearance equally as before; concerned about further development.

submitted by /u/JYossarian_22
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3cIWxBC

No comments:

Post a Comment