Tuesday, November 23, 2021

I had weight loss success during lockdown until elective surgery

So, I (27F) was one of the (maybe rare) people who had a successful weight loss journey during covid. Between May-Jul 2020, I lost about 20 pounds and got down to the high 180s. My goal was (and still is) to get to the 150s/160s and I got closer than Ive been in almost 10 years to this.

I maintained this (with some ups and downs) for a little over a year. I wanted to keep losing weight, but couldn’t bring myself that same perfect combination of routine, finding it easy to count calories, having little else to do, and going on 2 hour walks each day just because it was fun.

I had a really fun (and indulgent) summer this year, but kept a pretty rigorous workout schedule as I had before, because I genuinely enjoy running, hiking and lifting weights. I mostly kept my weight in the low 190s, fine.

Then, cue getting surgery (completely aesthetic/ voluntary) in mid August. It’s something I wanted to do for a while, and I’m really happy I did. But it meant I couldn’t exercise for 8 ish weeks, and while my eating drastically went down for the first week or so, it feels like my appetite has been in overdrive since then, on most days. I started binge eating more frequently, and I have absolutely no ability to eat under 2300 calories while I remember there was a time in life that 1800 was easy! I’m pretty educated on the mechanisms of weight loss (thanks, 15 years of hating my body/wanting to lose weight). Anyways, it’s been 3 months since my surgery and I’m back up to the weight I was pre-pandemic, which is pretty disheartening. Working out is also distinctly harder, and I know I have to be patient/give myself a bit of grace but I can’t help but feel a bit defeated!

BUT I know that not all hope is lost because:

  1. I lost that weight in about 3 months, and gained it back in 4-5 (it slowly started going up since July, but really ramped up in September)

  2. I still have a lot of the healthy habits/hobbies I picked up and realized I love, so it won’t be as hard to get myself back to being as active as before

  3. I’m a hell of a lot happier than I’ve ever been in every aspect of my life - even with my health in general, minus this weight regain

  4. I used to be close to 250 pounds about 5 years ago, and I really can’t imagine leading a lifestyle that will push me back there. And in comparison, 212 ish ain’t so bad

Anyways, I don’t have much to ask but just wanted to vent! And I guess, to ask about experiences of weight loss after you’ve lost a bit, were highly active and then stopped - while your appetite somehow remained the same?

submitted by /u/flora_fauna99
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3r0Lnkc

No comments:

Post a Comment