Friday, November 26, 2021

Struggling with "wasting" food

I'm on Round 2 of my weightloss journey. First time 250lb -> 165 lb. Gained weight back to 235lb and now I'm trying to get it back down to 170/165lbs. The first time I white knuckled it through. This time I'm trying to be more sustainable with my changes and confront some of my disordered thinking towards food.

One thing that keeps coming up is how wasteful it feels to throw food away. And it gives me a sense of lingering guilt. The more I think about it, the more I see this from my parents growing up. We're from an Asian culture and family time has always been centered around Mom's cooking and food. I have memories of my mom not eating much during dinner and waiting until the end to finish off whatever was left from the center plates. I always saw plate going back into the kitchen clean.

When I met my girlfriend and we'd go out to eat, she'd always be reminding me "you don't have to finish it if you're full." But I would just think about how I'd take it home and not eat it and it'd be wasteful so I'd just chow it down.

Even today, the day after Thanksgiving -- we are vacationing now and traveling tomorrow and there are things left in the fridge. I'm trying to not let my overeating yesterday bleed into today but the thought of throwing all those leftovers away is making me feel guilty. We try to not overbuy food but you know how things go sometimes. I know it's not beneficial to me or my progress to eat it all. It's taken until now for me to realize that eating it all is doing myself more harm than good.

On the plus side, I caught myself looking at half a container of mashed potatoes, creamed corn, turkey slices, 6 eggs, vegetables and whatever else we have in the fridge and thought it funny I could even think I’d eat that in a day. So that’s improvement I guess! lol

Does anyone else struggle with this thinking? How have you been able to reframe it or deal with it when it comes to weight loss & portion control?

submitted by /u/malinny
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/318Qrs2

No comments:

Post a Comment