Monday, February 13, 2023

35lbs/15.8kg down in 16 weeks! Am wondering if weight loss is still needed for health.

Just for context, I'm an Asian, 20M who just started his weight loss journey 16 wks ago and I have a few questions about health and weight and am wondering if losing more will make me healthier when I'm finally in the "acceptable" zone or am near it as you know the range of healthy BMI, Fat %, Waist to Height Ratio and Waist to Hip ratios are pretty big, you can be anywhere near the underweight end or the overweight end. I'm mostly wondering about the health within/near the healthy ranges. I started my weight loss journey with health being the main reason and priority so I can extend my average lifespan by around 4-6 years.

My stats when I started (Take the metric standard for largest accuracy)

Height: 1.68m/5ft6inch

Weight: 81kg/178.5lbs

Waist: 94cm/37inch

Neck/Hip Circumference & Fat % : Unknown

My current stats

Height: 1.68m

Weight: 65.2kg/143.7lbs

Waist: 77.5cm/30.5inch

Neck : 33cm

Hip: 89cm

BMI: 23.1 (Overweight by Asian standards, 17.5-23 for Acceptable, 0.3-0.4kg off Acceptable)

Waist to Hip Ratio: 0.87 (Acceptable for Asian Males, Under 0.90)

Waist to Height Ratio: 0.46 (Acceptable)

Fat % Calculated by BMI/Navy Army standards in the US : 16.2-16.3%

Fat % Calculated by a Medical Appointment using some electrical current machine measurement : 17.2%

Notabale Fitness: (Context: Long Distance Runner with 1x a week Bodyweight Exercise and Brisk Walking cross training and running 4-5x a week)

5K Personal Best: 28:06

10K Personal Best: 1:00:39

15K Personal Best: 1:36:55

21.1K Completion (Once) : 2:34:48 (Will attempt again next month, was too conservative with my pace)

Push Ups in 60s without Resting : 26

Sit Ups in 60s without Resting: 48

Covered a Total Distance of 432.6km from Running since I started

Longest Distance Brisk Walked: 24km in 4 hours

Weight Loss Strategy:

I ate 1600-1700kcals/day (2 meals a day) and ran very regularly, my weight loss was approximately 0.8-1.1kg/wk but has since slowed since Wk 15 & 16 to around 0.4-0.7kg/wk

I wouldn't say I ate very healthily, I still ate fast food 1-2x a week but accounted that as my allocated meals and calories. I still love sinful food but I now love running and it has became a lifestyle for me. The rest of the meals can be considered decently healthy, e.g. 1/2 a bowl of rice with 1 serving of Tofu/Eggs, 1 serving of boiled/stir fried vegetables (Cabbage, and most Asian vegetables like Kai Lan/Chinese Spinach) with 1 serving of meat (Usually braised/stir fried/baked and fried on occasion, I hate steamed meats istg). No snacks allowed with the exception of Chocolate Milk or 85% Dark Chocolate Post and Pre Runs if I'm tackling the 15k or 21.1k.

My question that I have is that, is it "healthy" for me to get off my deficit right now to eat 3 meals a day so I can run further and properly fuel myself for my runs to actually see my max potential in long distance running. I don't have much muscle mass like a resistance training main/weightlifter/calisthenic main but my runs are definitely improving and my calves and thighs are pretty defined. My upperbody isn't lean imho with some slight handlebars on my waist but a flat stomach, no definition of abs.

Or should I up my deficit further (likely by more exercise) and upping my distances to 60-65km/week to burn more calories while eating the same currently. Personally I feel like the 4500-5500kcal deficit I create every week is really stifling my ability to really improve my runs, it's improving but I feel like I could do much better if I actually ate more and it's lowkey annoying me, the extra meal would really make me happier and satiated (literally and figuratively with my performance).

I have 2 options right now and it's either.

  1. Cut down further to 59-60kg (21-21.5 BMI) and extend my cut further by another 4-5 weeks which I guess is fine it's not that bad.
  2. Moving into Calorie Maintenance mode after Wk 17/18 (Ideally around 63-64kg) and eat 3 meals a day to actually see larger jumps in my run performance (22-23 BMI)
  3. Cut down to 55-56kg (Still acceptable for Asians, 19 BMI) and extend my cut by a whole 2-3 months more that will make me feel miserable af.
submitted by /u/FurballTheHammy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/6epg5G4

No comments:

Post a Comment