Monday, March 27, 2023

Lost some weight (13 pounds) for the first time in my life - these are the things that helped me the most.

Don't overcomplicate things, just be consistent.

I combine very low-carb/keto (I eat bananas/apples daily and rice/potatoes once a week) and intermittent fasting (mostly 16:8, sometimes 18:6) with increased physical activity (8k or more steps, strength exercises at home when my energy levels allow) - and that's it.

Being simple and consistent is a winning combo, far more important than coming up with an elaborate meal plan, at least at the beginning of your weight loss journey when you still have plenty of weight to lose.

Know yourself and be honest about what works for you.

I've tried calorie counting, and it made me obsessive and miserable. "Everything in moderation" is for people who have impulse control, so... not for me. Cheat days scare the sh*t out of me because they always turn into binge sessions, cheat weeks, and failed diets.

So, I just won't do that anymore, or at least not until my mental state and relationship with food improve. It may work for other people, but NOT for me. I feel good with a strict regimen knowing that I did everything by the book. It gives me peace, confidence, and results.

Improve your overall health and routine.

In addition to the diet changes and being more active, I stick to Huberman's advice and have a good sleeping schedule, followed by sunlight exposure. Sun makes me feel wonderful!

When I don't do my tasks on time, I get vicious panic attacks - so completing them comes before anything else. Otherwise, I lose my mind and spiral. Procrastination is my biggest enemy.

I take my medications regularly, and engage in positive self talk filled with gentleness, praise, and encouragement. It only felt forced in the beginning, now it helps me get through days. I battle cravings every day, it still doesn't get any easier, and manage to stay on course by "debating" with myself.

Adapt your surroundings.

I eliminated triggering foods from my house, and bf keeps his sweets and snacks in his home office (my dignity would never allow me to rummage through his stuff lol).

Wherever I go, I keep a big handful of tasty mixed nuts in my bag to keep me busy until I get home and fix myself something to eat.

When ordering, I stick to meats, cheeses, fish, veggies, and salads. I specifically ask people not to serve breads, buns, potatoes, etc with my orders. I found that 99% of the restaurants have perfectly good keto options.

Most importantly: I ALWAYS have appropriate food ready to eat without cooking! Nuts, fruit, avocados, cheese, deli meat, canned fish, or yesterday's lunch to reheat.

As far as intermittent fasting goes, I set it up so I spend most of the fasting time sleeping.

(I) don't do replacements.

Let's be real, nothing can replace sugar and carbs, so I gave up pretending replacements work. Cauliflower rice is DISGUSTING, don't @ me! There's one decent keto bread with almond flour I occasionally make (less than I would want to, food prices are killing me), and that's it.

If they help you, good for you! I'd rather sit it out until I can comfortably enjoy pasta and pizza in moderation, on special occasions.

(I feel I should share that I have Hashimoto, PCOS, and pre-diabetis, all diagnosed and medicated.)

That's about it! It's all very simple and non-impressive, but I'm so happy about what I've accomplished in only a month by being consistent. I can't wait to see what future holds for me in terms of weightloss and there's no way I'm giving up this time! I wish all of you the best of luck and health. <3

submitted by /u/Relative-Yak-2726
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/A3vMo6Z

No comments:

Post a Comment